Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Can I Expect to See....?

Great post this! As a relative newcomer, it's great to see things like this. It's good to know what to expect, but even so, I still find it completely brain bending that the 'lentil' is a whole other planet and with a few bits of glass, I'm getting to see it.

• Like 4

Excellent post! My eight year old daughter looked at M31 through my 105mm Mak under heavily light polluted skies the other night. She could see it but was entirely unimpressed and actually said it was "nothing". We had to go inside later and look through a book and show her the photo and explain to her how far away it is and that she got to see the "real thing". 

Yes, too often people have way too high of expectations for what they'll see looking through a telescope. Hubble images have spoiled a great many. LOL.

At parties with people who have never seen anything through a scope, I always show them where something is and ask them if they can see it at all naked eye, give them an idea how far away it is and what they should be impressed with is seeing it with their own eyes and to feel lucky to be able to even see it at all. 

• Like 8

This is precisely what I wanted and needed when I first started out. Superb thread. You should seriously consider approaching a publisher with a view to expanding this into a handy book for beginners. The overwhelmingly positive feedback on this thread alone will surely at least ensure a foot through the door.

James

• Like 4

More than a sticky thread, we almost need a wiki or similar. Wading through forums and sticky threads can be ... intimidating? Harder work than some like? And yet there's a lot of good content in them - like this one.

• Like 1

Another excellent write up by Qualia. :smiley:  I wonder would it be worth while adding a sketch for M13 ?  For beginners this is probably the most often common starter object. How dare I make a suggestion to such a masterwork. :embarassed:

• Like 2

More than a sticky thread, we almost need a wiki or similar. Wading through forums and sticky threads can be ... intimidating? Harder work than some like? And yet there's a lot of good content in them - like this one.

I've got a couple of dedicated servers, so I'd certainly be up for hosting a wiki if there is enough interest. Not an interactive forum like this excellent site, but more an information source.

• Like 2

Just for some info on the thread. We thought it was so good that we've made it a 'sticky' and pinned it to the top of this section.

I've also combined the 2 parts into 1 part so it should be a bit easier to read and follow.

Many thanks to Qualia for putting the time and effort into this excellent piece of work.

• Like 10

Just for some info on the thread. We thought it was so good that we've made it a 'sticky' and pinned it to the top of this section.

I've also combined the 2 parts into 1 part so it should be a bit easier to read and follow.

Many thanks to Qualia for putting the time and effort into this excellent piece of work.

Very good idea ;). I missed the 2nd post until after I'd posted my reply. Hopefully this should make it easier for anyone else :).

Both parts are excellent Rob, looking forward to the 3rd :).

Edited by Naemeth
  • Like 2

very nicely put together, the skeches really do give a better indication of what will be seen at the eyepeice. for me the thing that new astromers do the least is summed up nicely by your advice, "you need to sit quietly for quite some time, relaxed in a comfortable position and allow your eyes to respond" it's called "observing" not a quick glance and tick it off and move on!

• Like 2

Where can I buy me one of them "Hubble" type scope things that get all of them cool pictures from? Does anyone have one for trade??? I may even throw in the wife and some cash too.

Seriously tho, awesome insightful post.

Thx.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Where can I buy me one of them "Hubble" type scope things that get all of them cool pictures from? Does anyone have one for trade??? I may even throw in the wife and some cash too.

Seriously tho, awesome insightful post.

Thx.

There you go:- http://www.firstlightoptics.com/clearance/hubble-cassegrain-reflector-telescope.html

• Like 3

Dear all members, moderators, admin and SGL itself,

I would like to say thank you so much to each and every one of you for your kindness and thoughtful responses and messages. I really cannot express enough how much I am sincerely touched by your wonderful grace and companionship.  It really is a joy to be part of something so amazing here at SGL. It is an extraordinary place made up extraordinary people.

I feel the second part wasn't so strong so will try to ammend my errors.

Thank you again and a big salute to you all :icon_salut:

Rob

• Like 10

The second part was just as great as the first one! Very much looking forward to part three. You're doing an amazing job. And as some has pointed out, you should write a book.

• Like 1