SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What Can I Expect to See....?

Thank you for your kind words, Brad.

If it is of interest, also have a look in the observing section and the sketch section, for there you will find more sketches and write ups on what is possible to see in all manner of scopes and settings :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

As a newcomer to this site and Astronomy, I'm glad this is one of the first posts I read.  Not only do I have a lot to learn, but here and some local clubs seem more than willing to teach and guide.  What I find totally fascinating is, I'm looking through a telescope invented over three hundred years ago.  Just slightly larger than the original and looking at the same moon and planets as the inventor of my telescope.

This is going to be a fun journey this summer.  Fishing during the day and stargazing at night.

• Like 2

Absolutely first class. I had my expectations curbed by articles and magazines before I bought my first scope but this is the best description I have read. Shame it's raining as it whetted my apetite to get out looking. Maybe tomorrow night?!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks - a well drafted and presented grounding for myself as the Newbie to the stars.

Great to realise that I will see something at all stages, but I do have to be realistic..

many thanks

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful posts :smiley: It really is great to hear that the OP has helped a little. Top stuff :grin:

Please don't be strangers to SGL and I look forward to hearing your ideas and reports and meeting you guys on the boards.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried one of those. Initial results were really disappointing with some awful spherical abberation and it was a mission to get it sorted out, but the final results ain't too bad.

Still trying to find a 2.4 meter solar filter on eBay so i can do some sunspot pics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is great! I have to admit that my expectations were different than what I saw through my telescope. But still was thrilled at seeing the rings (ok..looked like one) of Saturn!  Loving my new hobby!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what to make of this post.  It is obviously well informed and obviously a result of experience.

However, if I knew these things BEFORE I bought my first telescope (arrived today), I would have bought the Hubble Telescope and not the Skyliner 200 Dobsonian I am lumbered with!

Not sure what to make of this post.  It is obviously well informed and obviously a result of experience.

However, if I knew these things BEFORE I bought my first telescope (arrived today), I would have bought the Hubble Telescope and not the Skyliner 200 Dobsonian I am lumbered with!

The inspiration of the post came from noting that there is sometimes a disappointment for many beginners when they set out to observe. Perhaps they expected to see planets the size of golf balls or Hubble like images. In this light, the post came with the hope of grounding expectations rather than puffing them up. 

In a way astronomy is like music: music is interpreted upon the spaces built around it and so to with observing the wonders of the night sky. Each time you go out to look at the sky, you can find something new, you can learn something, you literally broaden your horizons. And the sky keeps giving, it keeps coming back to you, never asking for more, never giving less.

Stargazing teaches you to observe - attentively and with care. It teaches you to be sensitive to the rhythms and changes of nature. If you're so declined, it'll teach you optics, physics, chemistry and collimation :p Just as importantly, it  gives you an awareness of self on the cosmic scale. In a sense, it teaches you that you are a very small being on a tiny rock tucked in orbit around a pretty normal star which in turn is orbiting within just another galaxy of countless others that make up the universe. If there is something as grand as an art to observing, it may consist in nothing more than being sensitive to each of those moments, wholly receptive and regarding those moments as utterly new and unique.

Your telescope ought to give you years of enjoyment but in a sense, you don't need Hubble and you don't need an 8" to enjoy the night sky, just a set of eyes, a dash of wonder, a pinch of imagination, patience and a good slurp of enthusiasm. Let us know how you get along :grin:

There's a lovely poem written by Ventrudo that I'd like to share:

I look at the stars because I love to.

Because under the stars, I can find solitude without loneliness.

Because of all the dumbed-down TV and mind-numbing blather on the internet I thus escape.

Because an understanding of the stars cannot be stolen or extracted by force, but comes only through thoughtfulness and humility and endless patience.

Because in a world where most people seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, stargazing is at once an endless source of delight and a small act of rebellion.

Because I suspect I'm passing this way just once, so I might as well see something extraordinary while I'm here.

• Like 16

This initial expectation of seeing magazine type views through a scope is quite understandable but as it turns out is very unrealistic. At first I too was a tad underwhelmed but as time has passed I concentrated on objects that are within easy reach such as the Moon and the sun, both of which are not underwhelming and are in fact quite the opposite.

Using a scope that gives wide field views of the stars is also very satisfying, as is observing using binoculars, and with time will realign initial expectations. To me this was the turning point and proceeding started to improve.

• Like 2

Qualia:  Could not agree more with everything you said.  Learning about the Cosmos was my first interest as a child.  Patrick Moore, Carl Sagan et al...

My post was of course meant as a joke following on from (unlike mine!) very funny earlier posts about Hubble.  The Skyliner 200, so I have been told, is a very good piece of kit and cannot wait to use it  :-))

I look at the stars because I love to.

Because under the stars, I can find solitude without loneliness.

Because of all the dumbed-down TV and mind-numbing blather on the internet I thus escape.

Because an understanding of the stars cannot be stolen or extracted by force, but comes only through thoughtfulness and humility and endless patience.

Because in a world where most people seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, stargazing is at once an endless source of delight and a small act of rebellion.

Because I suspect I'm passing this way just once, so I might as well see something extraordinary while I'm here.

I said this before Qualia, you are something of a poet and philosopher, nice sentiments.

• Like 2