Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp.jpg

Qualia

What Can I Expect to See....?

280 posts in this topic

Put together very well....

1 person likes this

Love this post. Feel better soon Qualia

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Love this post. Feel better soon Qualia

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Yep, this is such a great thread for Beginners so they don't fall for Advertising hype and get let down.

Sent from my HP laptop using my Fingers 

:grin:

2 people like this

I you are fortunate to live in or near dark Sky you will see much more light coming from Objects.

Here is an example of what I see from my Very dark sky in my country town in Australia.

This is as close as I can get to what I see through my 12" GSO f5 Dobsonian using a GSO 2" 30mm SuperView Eyepiece.

Notice the slight pale green tinge. Young children tell me they see it in pale Pink!

Yes, a far cry from the pretty pictures on telescope boxes  :grin:

Ken

Thanks for posting the Orion Nebula as seen through your scope. Everything now falls into place.

I look through my scope as a newbie and recognised Rob's sketch. It looks Absolutally nothing like the pictures in the books. In fact if I had encountered it without the unmissable signposts of Orion's Belt and sword. I wouldn't have had a clue what I was looking at!

Then I look at your real life shot which looks closer to the book pictures and realise that I need to turn the book upside down and the structure is clear to see.

So not only am I going to have to spend a fortune on eyepieces (having been easily swayed by enthusiastic reviews on this forum), but I now have to emigrate to find some dark sky!!

Paul

Your excellent article is very useful to me.

Thank you for writing it.

1 person likes this

Excellent post as always Qualia. :smiley:

The should be printed and be a compulsory part of all retailers marketing material.

4 people like this

Thanks for this, I'm really new to this having been given a Skywatcher 607 AZ2 for Christmas - always wanted to have a go and I haven't been disappointed . Last night sat in the back garden in Devon and was looking and trying to target 'stars'. This evening spent 3 hours tracking what I now believe is Jupiter at it's moons and it was your article that made this possible

1 person likes this

That really is a very kind and beautiful message. Thank you.

1 person likes this

Very well put together, great for newbies like me :) Thanks

1 person likes this

Great post!

I have a skywatcher 607, my first telescope and Jupiter tonight appeared exactly as you have it!. I could see 2 bands and the moons, nice clear skies.

Wez

1 person likes this

Fantastic thread! Great idea to compare... and actually helps me realise the smudges aren't just my eyes and they actually are something. 

But i do think its important to compare what we see with the eye and the amazing images we get from Hubble etc. 

2 people like this

Great post! I found it very useful, no doubt a lot of other people did too. 

1 person likes this

Hi

Thanks for the input this don't sound easy but will give it a go.

Mark

1 person likes this

Great post as I have some idea what to look for now.

1 person likes this

Fantastic article, wished I'd found this a long time ago, you anticipated, formulated and put into writing all the grey fuzzy impressions passing through my head

many thanks

1 person likes this

I remember reading this when it was first posted and thinking 'this should be on the front page of every website selling telescopes'.

Absolutely excellent advice, and invaluable to anyone starting out at home.

My first glance through a telescope was the Meade up at Keilder observatory - I knew then that it was going to take an extraordinary amount of money to replicate that experience!!

A must read for anyone about to buy a telescope :smiley:

1 person likes this

Thanks for this brilliant post - really helps set my expectations.

Patrick

1 person likes this

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts, seriously. Thank you. Please don't think me rude for not replying sooner, but my router at home died and I had to wait a good few days for the replacement.

1 person likes this

Glad to see your back on line Qualia, this place is not the same with out your wise input

1 person likes this

Thanks for this Qualia,  I found it Very informative  :smiley: .

Great expectations come in small sizes :grin: .  

1 person likes this

Thank you for this intriguing & informative thread. It will help give me an idea of whether I'm on target or not as a completely n00b.

1 person likes this