Cat and Mouse Moon - 28/09/2013

Luke

This shot was a bit of an experiment to try and tease out a bigger moon image with my grab and go, non-tracking mount. I used a 2.5x barlow instead of a 1.7x barlow or prime focus with my ED80.

10052234446_de8e69d747_c.jpg

Please click on image for higher-res.

Instead of capturing full frame, I reduced the height by about half to get a fast enough frame rate to grab enough frames as the moon drifted over the webcam sensor. This gave me the moon in six slices, I hope the joins aren't obvious. The technique will be trickier when the moon is more than 50% - I think I will need 6x2 slices for that! That said, it was pretty relaxed grabbing six slices. In the end, though, I downsized the image during processing to sharpen it up a bit, so didn't quite get the big image I wanted.

This session was also memorable for a frantic moment: my cat was darting and jumping around like crazy, when I suddenly realised there was a mouse running around my feet! :shocked:

---

28/09/2013
Celestron Onyx 80mm / Grasshopper 3 (ICX687) / 2.5x Powermate / red filter

Really great shot that Luke, I carn't see any joins at all even when viewing the bigger image. Still being an utter newb I don't yet understand what your doing to get that picture but I think it's great. I only hope that once I get around to photography myself I can get results like this. Please keep up the good work :icon_salut: .

Daz

Many thanks :smiley:

Daz, I think we're all still learning. I spent 20 minutes the other night trying to find the galaxies M81 and 82, even though I've seen them many times before  :confused:  I'm determined to learn some star hopping this season! After I popped indoors and checked out Turn Left At Orion's instructions, I found then within a minute. :laugh:

Alex, very nice of you to say so. I've got a big backlog of solar images that I'm really looking forward to catching up on. :smiley:

Archived