Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hello all

astrowatt

New to this forum and relatively new to astronomy.

I have a Meade etx-125 it is my first telescope and I wouldn't describe it as user friendly but I have it figured out now.   Now that I actually know how to use my telescope I'm looking forward to the cold weather and the clear sky that comes with it.

Before buying the telescope I bought Celestron 15 x 70 binoculars for learning/viewing the night skies.

I still have a lot to learn so I'll probably be here asking questions on occasion.

Mike

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New to this forum and relatively new to astronomy.

I have a Meade etx-125 it is my first telescope and I wouldn't describe it as user friendly but I have it figured out now.   Now that I actually know how to use my telescope I'm looking forward to the cold weather and the clear sky that comes with it.

Before buying the telescope I bought Celestron 15 x 70 binoculars for learning/viewing the night skies.

I still have a lot to learn so I'll probably be here asking questions on occasion.

Mike

Similar story here Astro,

We have a 76mm scope which needed collimation before it could perform to specification.

The 15 x 70 binoculars are excellent.

I use the bins to locate the objects - then zoom in with the scope for a much better view.

The 5" should keep you busy for a while yet.

Welcome from another newbie.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to SGL. Thats a great scope to start out with. If you can put  a couple of books on your wanted list try 'turn left at orion' and 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas'.. These will help you guide your way round the sky. If you haven't done so already download a planetarium program, lots out there but try Stellarium its great and free, to be found here :--- http://www.stellarium.org/

Welcome to SGL, Mike!

NW Ohio?  Anywhere near Hicksville?  Baseball fan?

Dana

No, I live in Fulton County.  I am a Detroit Tigers fan, been listening to Tiger games on 96.1 out of Archbold for many years.

Archived