Understanding Optics

Without a practical application I have an exceedingly difficult time truly understanding basic concepts. In an effort to better understand the basics of a "fast" vs "slow" scope and better understand how focal length effects imaging, I comprised a most basic experiment. Using a lens, magnifying glass, and a light bulb, focusing the light to a point, then moving the light bulb across a radius curve to see how focal length effected the pinpoint of focused light. Then varying the distances from bulb to lens. Then altering the speed of the bulbs' motion. Just playing around with this till it all made sense to me. Only now can I understand how all of this works within my scope. Without my tiny, lame experiment, I'd NEVER have TRULY understood any of this. With this basic knowledge through extrapolation I can better understand more complex applications. I learned this in school and could regurgitate it to pass a test.... but I never REALLY learned it. Only now and only with a reason to could I learn it.

- Nate

Birmingham, AL

Archived