2"ep comparison

Ally8446

I have 3 choices so far on used 2" wide field ep's. Williams Optics SWAN 33mm, Revelation Astro 30mm and Orion Deepview 32mm. I'm very interested to know what your advice would be on which one to go for ?

Clear skies

Ally

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2

I think the Orion Deepview is a 35mm. 

Of those 3, I feel the William Optics SWAN would work best with your F/6 200mm dobsonain. It will show more sky than your Meade 32mm plossl but not all of the extra field will be sharp being realistic.

Hi Ally. I have a WO Swan 33mm.  With my 10" F4.8 Dob, it gives a nice 36x with a 2 degree field. However, it does give a large almost 7mm exit pupil, so a 'washed out' view under my light polluted sky, and stars in the outer field are fuzzy. Comfortable eye relief and a sharp field stop are nice though. With the rubber eyecup folded down, it's fine with specs.

But my 27mm Panoptic is not sharp to the edge, most of that is coma from the F4.8 mirror.

The Orion Deepview (35mm ?) would give an even larger exit pupil.

The Swan should work a bit better in your 200mm F6, as mentioned in post #2. Some folk are more fussed than others about off axis problems (fuzzy stars towards the edge) so you could be quite happy with the 33 Swan, and your bank balance will thank you if you were thinking of going high end.

Hope you find something that suits, Ed.

I have the SW PanaView which is supposed to be similar to the WO. It's lovely in my 8" 'scope, yes a little soft round the edges, but crisp and does not appear washed out to me.

There are also the new SW SWA 70o eyepieces in a 32mm, but there aren't many reviews on these yet.

Cheers

Archived