Narrowband

Hey up (Hi) all.

SHARKuk

Hey up all from Yorkshire ...

In short/longish.. I am a total noob to Astronomy, I have already bought a starter scope which is a Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ. I am currently hooked to viewing the Moon and can be found most nights pining at the window hopeing it's clear :clouds1: .. Being in the middle of the UK however this normally isnt the case, I currently only have the eyepieces which came with the scope which is a 20mm and a 10mm, I have been viewing the moon in sections and looking at as much detail as possible.

My cousin a couple of weeks ago came round with a Meade zoom eyepiece, my jaw was on the floor when I zoomed in and could see the lines radiating out from the impact craters. HOOKED ...

I am now looking to buy myself a new eyepiece(s) and filter(s) to bring out as much detial in the Moon as possible, I will of course be reading this site like a man possesed over the next few weeks but any hints or tips for getting the best views of the Moon with the above scope would be greatfully accepted.

At the moment I will be leeching your knowledge and experiance but hopefully one day hope to be giving some out ..

Thank you all for reading and sharing all your knowledge :icon_salut:

Daz ..

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Daz,

Welcome to SGL. Think the next investment should be a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion'. The starter astronomers bible....finding stuff in the sky, plus a section especially about the different phases of the moon, and what to see. its great when you can actualy start putting a name to a location. Another great tool is the online Moon atlas....just do a search.

Good luck and clear skies...tonights meant to be goodish here in the south ;-)

Hi Daz,

Welcome to SGL. Think the next investment should be a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion'. The starter astronomers bible....finding stuff in the sky, plus a section especially about the different phases of the moon, and what to see. its great when you can actualy start putting a name to a location. Another great tool is the online Moon atlas....just do a search.

Good luck and clear skies...tonights meant to be goodish here in the south ;-)

Thanks for the welcomes all .. I already have the online Moon atlas Blazar and have been using it before/after every view .. I will have a look at that book for sure .

Daz.

Hi Daz welcome to the lounge

try this link http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/?source=dlp

if you like the Moon, you will like this too, and it's free.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi ronl and thanks.. I already have the Moon atlas aswell as a few other things like Stellarium and a few sites for moon phases and the like. I have also just downloaded the book recommended by Blazar for my Kobo reader.

Hi and welcome. I love the moon too, never get tired of looking at it. I progressed to imaging it too but that's a slippery slope you don't want to be on yet!!!

Some people use a dedicated moon filter which cuts the brightness a bit but some don't find the brightness a problem. Personal choice I think.  I use a variable polarising moon filter which allows you to adjust the dimming effect. Not super expensive but you can also get cheap plastic ones for not much at all if you think it might be something you're interested in. I find cutting the brightness a bit really helps me see more detail. I believe deep red and neodymium filters can also be employed to improve views of the moon but I have yet to try them.

cheers and enjoy!

Hi and welcome. I love the moon too, never get tired of looking at it. I progressed to imaging it too but that's a slippery slope you don't want to be on yet!!!

Some people use a dedicated moon filter which cuts the brightness a bit but some don't find the brightness a problem. Personal choice I think.  I use a variable polarising moon filter which allows you to adjust the dimming effect. Not super expensive but you can also get cheap plastic ones for not much at all if you think it might be something you're interested in. I find cutting the brightness a bit really helps me see more detail. I believe deep red and neodymium filters can also be employed to improve views of the moon but I have yet to try them.

cheers and enjoy!

Hi m37, thanks for the info on the variable polarising moon filter. The first night I used the scope the moon was in it's full cycle which did hurt my eyes, after talking to a family member about it he gave me his VPMF which fitted to the end of my 10mm ep and worked a treat. I also only used it a little to dull the brightness just a small amount.

I will be looking into the filters you suggest as I have already seen a post on the forums where a picture of the moon was green and seemed to enhance the image.

Daz.

Hi Daz and welcome to SGL from a fellow South Yorkshireman! :smiley:​ 

Hi saturn4me, although not into footy myself I did once work for a mad Blades fan, I dont know if you have seen the movie When Saturday Comes but he played the ref in the final football match in that film. He looks abit like penguin from the Batman movies hehe... Have you been upto that Dark Skies site in Sheff ? My cousin and I went up a couple of times a few months ago to check it out and got some really good views in, sadly the second time we went there was some sort of rave going on somewhere and about 100 cars arrived dropping people off left right and centre and then the police turned up. They where happy to see Saturn through my cousins scope though ..

Daz

can be found most nights pining at the window hopeing it's clear :clouds1: .. Being in the middle of the UK however this normally isnt the case'

Ha Ha, this made me laugh. There must be so many of us, we probably need some app to post 'waiting at the window again'

Archived