Imaging with two capture apps on same laptop simultaneously?

kirkster501

Anyone doing this please?

My plan is to use my CCD setup as per normal (APT or Artemis) and also use my DSLR mounted on top (for wide-field) under control of APT?  From the same laptop. 

I suppose the answer to my question is to try it but I wondered if anyone else is doing something like this?

Thanks, Steve

I suppose it could well work, provided both programs do not want to access the same resource simultaneously. If two data streams from the camera run through the same USB controller, I wonder if that might not reduce the bandwidth of each. Also, if both applications need a lot of memory, this might lead to swapping data out of memory to the disk, which compromises performance. However, if the laptop has sufficient memory, and is a multi-core machine (everything is, practically), the two programs should not interfere.

Anyone doing this please?  My plan is to use my CCD setup as per normal (APT or Artemis) and also use my DSLR mounted on top (for wide-field) under control of APT?  From the same laptop.  I suppose the answer to my question is to try it but I wondered if anyone else is doing something like this? Thanks, Steve

Yep - give it a go - the quickest way to find out if it works for you.  However the more that's going on [=dual imaging] at the same time the easier it is to make mistakes and mess things up :police:

Archived