Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sandancer10

eq5 pro skyscan

Hi I'm a newbie and I have just ordered Skywatcher Explorer 150pds with eq5 pro mount. Can anyone tell me the best place to get the power source and whether I need a power pack or mains leads; most of what I view will be from next to my house. Also I am quite excited by the AP pics I've seen that are possible with this setup. I have a canon dslr 600D and can't wait to photograph the heavens. I will probably be on here a lot asking loads of questions.

I have a Baader mains lead for my (£30) as well as a SW 17Ah power tank.  Not sure why they don't supply the mains lead with the synscan, except to make you buy one separately. If you can plug into your house mains, that's better, but there may come a time when you want to move away from the safety of your garden. I thought the garden good for me too, but then I realised that the park behind my house offered more sky, so I picked up the power tank.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the lounge

looks like you got your answer, good luck with

the new scope, and I'm sure you will enjoy imaging

with your set up.

All the best and Clear Sky's

• Like 1

Thanks for your welcome and I'm happy to get the mains lead suggested.  I was a bit worried about plugging into the mains supply, but would prefer it if I can. After I joined Skygazers Lounge last night and saw the deep sky photo's so couldn't sleep. Up a 3 and wouldn't you know Jupiter was right up there along with Orion - I wished I had my scope.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad to see the astro bug is starting to bite - you do realise there's no cure just a life long affliction to larger and larger aperture!!   :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies

James

Hi and welcome from me a mains power suply sounds just the job mosts shops and astro websites sell them ,steer clear of the cheapo ones of e bay they will work but not outside in the cold damps nights

Pat

Hi and welcome to SGL

you can get a portable power unit for about £40 just as good as a celestron one and half the price also ideal for if you go out to a dark site and also handy if you need to jump start your car :)

Thanks for your welcome and I'm happy to get the mains lead suggested.  I was a bit worried about plugging into the mains supply, but would prefer it if I can. After I joined Skygazers Lounge last night and saw the deep sky photo's so couldn't sleep. Up a 3 and wouldn't you know Jupiter was right up there along with Orion - I wished I had my scope.

I Think they get the deep sky pictures by moding there cameras as i think they usualy are only 30 sec max well my nikon is ive seen so realy good deep sky pictures but at the moment well out of my league until i invest in a goto 12 dobsonian :)

Just remember that if you are using a mains lead make sure to use a 12V Regulated/Switch mode power supply, unregulated mains adapters send unwanted power to the mount and you could risk frying the electronics.

Welcome! I just did my first run with my Explorer 200 and 5D, great results so far!

Welcome to you.

+1 for the Maplin mains-to-cigarette-lighter power supply, just got one myself. The powertanks/jumpstarters are OK, particularly for short sessions but you have to carry out a full charge cycle (30+ hours) to keep the battery tip top.

If you go the mains route, just make sure you get the polarity (tip) correct otherwise it's bye-bye mount, hello mount repair bill. Preferably avoid the ones with exchangeable tips completely as the potential for disaster is always there lurking.

cheers