Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eq5 pro skyscan

Sandancer10

Hi I'm a newbie and I have just ordered Skywatcher Explorer 150pds with eq5 pro mount. Can anyone tell me the best place to get the power source and whether I need a power pack or mains leads; most of what I view will be from next to my house. Also I am quite excited by the AP pics I've seen that are possible with this setup. I have a canon dslr 600D and can't wait to photograph the heavens. I will probably be on here a lot asking loads of questions.

I have a Baader mains lead for my (£30) as well as a SW 17Ah power tank.  Not sure why they don't supply the mains lead with the synscan, except to make you buy one separately. If you can plug into your house mains, that's better, but there may come a time when you want to move away from the safety of your garden. I thought the garden good for me too, but then I realised that the park behind my house offered more sky, so I picked up the power tank.

Thanks for your welcome and I'm happy to get the mains lead suggested.  I was a bit worried about plugging into the mains supply, but would prefer it if I can. After I joined Skygazers Lounge last night and saw the deep sky photo's so couldn't sleep. Up a 3 and wouldn't you know Jupiter was right up there along with Orion - I wished I had my scope.

Hi and welcome to SGL

you can get a portable power unit for about £40 just as good as a celestron one and half the price also ideal for if you go out to a dark site and also handy if you need to jump start your car :)

Thanks for your welcome and I'm happy to get the mains lead suggested.  I was a bit worried about plugging into the mains supply, but would prefer it if I can. After I joined Skygazers Lounge last night and saw the deep sky photo's so couldn't sleep. Up a 3 and wouldn't you know Jupiter was right up there along with Orion - I wished I had my scope.

I Think they get the deep sky pictures by moding there cameras as i think they usualy are only 30 sec max well my nikon is ive seen so realy good deep sky pictures but at the moment well out of my league until i invest in a goto 12 dobsonian :)

Welcome to you.

+1 for the Maplin mains-to-cigarette-lighter power supply, just got one myself. The powertanks/jumpstarters are OK, particularly for short sessions but you have to carry out a full charge cycle (30+ hours) to keep the battery tip top.

If you go the mains route, just make sure you get the polarity (tip) correct otherwise it's bye-bye mount, hello mount repair bill. Preferably avoid the ones with exchangeable tips completely as the potential for disaster is always there lurking.

cheers

Archived