Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 help

twelly27

Hi all

I'm right now sat at my scope trying to image m31, I can get 3 min exposures with no trails at ISO 800, but they are coming out a tad orange, I'm going to do an hours worth of 3 min pics, when I come to stack then will the level of orange on each pic add up to spoil my image beyond saving when it's going to be processed? Or will it be fine?

Thanks

Chris

Yes, you can sort the colour balance later. Get the data. You can try some short subs for the core but I think you'll find you have information well into the core even in the 5 minute subs.

Olly

ive never even done some shorter ones but tbh ive never really had a good go at it before, stacking doesnt go well enough 

Cloud AND rain here! Would love to be out there getting very orange five minute subs.

last night tonight clear as a bell and the same for tomorrow, im not working monday so i might be tempted to go for orions nebula and jupiter, maybe mars 

hello twelly27

is that you capture the pic with DSLR ?

the orange may be come with the wrong white balance .

you can fix at photoshop after stack pics.

but,you must to set RAW to take the pic !

(pardon for my weak english) :p

Neat (about the 5 min subs), that gives me hope... Once I master a really tight polar alignment with my heq5 I look forward to ramping up the exposure times. Now, we just need to move those darn clouds......... Hope you're going to post some pics from your session yesterday.

Hi all

ive actually manager my best effort yet to be honest. its stacked well, with the very smallest of star trails etc unlike my first efforts, my photoshop skills are beyond basic and ive hit a problem now, when i change my file from 32 to 16 bit so i can use the curves tool the core of the galaxy just goes very bright i havent a clue why or how to fix it. Im well happy i dont really know how to lessen the orange anymore i only know how to do it in levels but you can make out the dust arms. 

thanks

Chris 

Hi when you first open your photo in Photoshop if you have shot in raw you can change the white balance or use the temperature slider to reduce the orange effect. If you have already worked on the photos use saturation slider in adjustments and that will also reduce the orange. The reason you are having a problem with levels is you are probably increasing the highlights toward the top end of the scale -thats to the right, try do the curve more gently. Cheers Brenda

I'm pretty poor at PSP, but what I do with bright cores sometimes is I do several iterations of Curves with the core isolated with a feathered selection, then select Inverse. I'm not at home so can't give you detailed instructions! I feather it quite a bit, set at 20 or 30, and do a wobbly-lined selection which changes at each iteration. I use Curves VERY slightly for each iteration. HTH. I've also used the above tutorial which is brilliant.

Alexxx

Archived