Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Top/favourite objects of the night sky?

MYLUCKYSTARS

I was looking at The Moon & Jupiter this morning at about 6am so they why about the only things visible with the naked eye & they where close so it got me think that the might be my 2 favourite objects in the night sky. & so from that I started thinking what are my favourite objects & at the moment(I assumes my opinion will change) I think my top 5 would be something like:

1The Moon reason really cos you can just see so much detail the craters the mountains, craters with ray systems. The Phases being able to see differences.

2 Meteors, I guess it's unpredictable. A surprise streak of light across the sky. Cosmic fireworks.

3 Jupiter and its Moons, Cloud Band giving it nice detail. Seeing the Moons it different stages of orbit

4 Andromeda Galaxy, big DSO & cool knowing its a Galaxy. Little off topic but the achievement of finding a DSO is one of my favourite things about Astronomy.

5 Artificial Satellites, some of you probably thing its an odd choice but like Meteors they can be surprise. See the brightness change. & When I saw 5 in formation(at least I think it was Sats) it was one of the most usual things I've seen.

So that my top/favourite objects, what are your favourite or top(3,5,10,50...) objects?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourites at the moment (say up until about midnight) are:

1) Veil Nebula - simply amazing especially with dark skies and a Oiii filter

2) Ring Nebula. I always look at this when available no matter what

3) NGC891 - this is a tricky galaxu from sites with any light pollution but from a dark site is just the epitome of a side on galaxy

4) Swan Nebula - still just doable I think and is an amazing sight

5) Double cluster - again I alwys look at this if it's in view and never get bored

The moon though as an ever present, provides limitless observing opportunities and is spectacular when <50% illuminated

Dont think I could create a list of favourites as I've so many more to see, so with that in mind, i'll say my favourite objects are the entire Caldwell, Messier & NGC list.................Although I will add that at the top would be M42, the Leo Triplet, Bodes, M31, Jupiter, the Moon, M51, M13.............................& on & on :grin:

Steve

As above I have lots of favourites I keep going back to but I always get a thrill seeing new objects, if I had to narrow it down its seeing multiple galaxies 4, 5 and more in the same field of view, usually in the spring skies. They each have their own story to tell and I'm always wondering if there is someone looking back towards the light from our galaxy as it was a few million years ago!

Isn't it a bit like picking your favourite child? Just doesn't seem entirely right.

Still, things I keep coming back to:

Ring Nebula

Swan (or Omega) nebula

Double Cluster

Cassiopeia open clusters - various, but M103 is a nice starting point. I can get it and 3 other OCs in the one field of view!

Veil Nebula. First time I found it I had skies so dark a filter made no difference.

Jupiter. I know it's only just coming around, but I also know I'm going to look at it a lot, again.

The Moon. Yes, if it's up DSOs are hard, so roll with it. It changes out the time, so it's worth a good look.

I really goes with what' s up at a good location at the time for me, but I do have a few my old time favourites. Right now most of my time is just around Cassiopeia, Pegasus, working towards Cepheus, but really where the best bits sky condition are for me and what is limited by my garden and surrounding  LP if I am not out elsewhere with a better sky.  Jupiter of course, and the moon when it is around. For me the moon has a kind of unique appeal in a way and provides an experience you will not get with anything else , there is no other object that can be observed in so much detail :smiley:  I forgot the sun , but I've not yet ventured into solar observing, definitely something I am curios about.

m81 and 82 always look stunning in the same field of view. Especially with the contrast in the angle that we see them. Also seeing several galaxies around m86 in one field in Leo and Virgo. Awe inspiring when you stop and think about what you are actually seeing at one time!

difficult to pick one object. but the big globs are  just great to look at , m2,m3,m13 ect.   but all objects give some satisfaction upon finding and observing.  I was amazed at the swan nebula ,orion nebula, m101 and m102, ahhhh the list is endless and ive not given the answer asked , sorry.

Will always say hello to M13 if visible, it was my first DSO and it still strikes me everytime I observe it.

Cat's Eye Nebula - so tiny, but so beautiful.

Jupiter and it's moons - love the diversity and constantly changing views.

M45, First thing I learned in the night sky, well apart from the moon.

Saturn and Jupiter obviously, both for the wow factor.

The Moon, nothing compares, I think its very much taken for granted by a lot of us!

1. The Moon - takes my breath every time and always makes me think of those words, "beautiful desolation"

2. M13 - because it is not just a faint smudge and because it is a weird object when you think about it.

3. Orion Nebula - incredible to see all the layers of gas and the hint of green.

4. Saturn - got me interested in the first place and always amazes.

5. Comets - like asteroids, love being able to see them move slightly in a single observing session.

• 2 weeks later...

Always end my night with the Double Cluster or Caroline's Rose, and always want M24 or Sagittarius Star Cloud those rare times we get a southern sky (trees here at home).

M13 or M5 when the conditions really allow 260x viewing. Ditto Jupiter and Saturn.

The moon at 75% waxing with our cheapest (but best lunar) EP, the 28mm RKE.

The Veil straight overhead from dark skies, and M 42 anytime. Cassiopeia and Cygnus every time. Started out hunting globs but have since preferred the more nuanced OCs. Have also learned to appreciate M 31 once I learned to settle down and discern its two dust lanes. Have a long way to go.

Depends where I'm viewing from.

In LP land, the Solar System, in particular the Sun, Moon and Jupiter. If possible I will try to view these big 3 everyday. To be honest, I find no other object to be as reliable, versatile, and beautiful as these three which arguably display more detail than any other object visible to a stargazer's eye.

At a dark site, depending on the season, I will pay particular attention to the Milky Way, emission, reflection and planetary nebulae, globular clusters and a galaxy, or two. 

Back at the LP land, I'll also try my hand at doubles, preferring easy split, but close ones, than high magnification tricky split ones.

Archived