Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TAK FSQ Fluorite versions

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would make no difference to me. Not quite sure what it shows. Mine is all in Japanese, except for the serial number, so no clue what it says. It's a simple bit of printed paper, no hologram or anything, so IMHO it shows nothing of significance.

Even if Taks were regularly knocked off by counterfeiters (they're not), without the certificate being made more difficult to replicate, then it still serves no purpose ... to my mind. Just a bit of marketing BS!

And besides, once you've bought a Tak you won't ever want to sell it!!

It would make no difference to me. Not quite sure what it shows. Mine is all in Japanese, except for the serial number, so no clue what it says. It's a simple bit of printed paper, no hologram or anything, so IMHO it shows nothing of significance.

Even if Taks were regularly knocked off by counterfeiters (they're not), without the certificate being made more difficult to replicate, then it still serves no purpose ... to my mind. Just a bit of marketing BS!

And besides, once you've bought a Tak you won't ever want to sell it!!

What, you can't speak Japanese?  I thought everyone could ;)

TBH your opinion is the same as mine Alistair.   Its just that in some past adverts I have seen folk seem to promote the fact they have this certificate, and I don't blame them for that.  But you are right - it'd be easy to knock off a counterfeit so whats the value of that?

I am in correspondence with a chap who contacted me about his FSQ-106N he wants to sell in response to my "wanted" as on ABS.  It's in apparently immaculate condition and he has fitted the Tak MEF4 focuser Microfocuser on it and he will also be throwing in his Extender Q, a Tak Diagonal and a 18mm EP.  He is also including the clamshell but there is no offset plate from what I can gather.  He wants £2700 for it.  I have the money from a nice bonus this month :)  The focuser and the ExQ are £300 each when new.

Whats your thought's please?  My thoughts are this would make a great DSO AP scope and also a fabulously corrected lunar visual telescope as well. 

Rgds, Steve

It's rather more than I paid but I didn't get the diagonal or EP. I got tube rings instead of clamshell. I did get the extender Q but it's a rum thing and, to be honest, I've no clue as to what to do with it! Since I have a TEC 140 I doubt that I ever will. I did get a proper Tak hard case.

It's a good scope. To say the least!!!

Olly

Thanks Olly, I have been researching what these have gone for in the past on the ad archives and I think £2300-£2400 tops is more like what I'd be prepared to pay without more accessories.  Mark - AstroScott - on here wanted £2500 for his that I just missed out on and he was throwing a lot of extra stuff in with his for that price.  TBH the Ep, Diagonal and ExQ in tis example aren't that important to me (I have several high quality TV Ep's, diagonals and a Powermate already)  and I'd need to spend more to get it up and running.  Must not make my heart rule my head.... Other examples will show up.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello Brian,   is your friend called Stuart ?    I owned I think one of the few Vixen 108DED in the UK as i sold it to upgrade to the FSQ.

The DED was a great scope, I do miss it.

I was the prior owner Brian refers to.

Indeed, a fantastic scope. I too sold mine to afford an FSQ106ED, and I regretted every second of it - in my opinion, the DED EXCEEDS the FSQ in terms of image quality (and that is a difficult statement to make!). I understand Vixen was unsuccessful with the DED simply due to costs involved - the 2nd generation DED's were not as good as the first (which I owned), and this lead to the demise of the system. A shame - even Markus Ludes commented on the pros f the DED vs the FSQ. In fact, when I sold my FSQ, I re-acquired my Vixen FL102S that I too stupidly sold to afford the FSQ... and I don't regret that either! The FL102S is a simply superb telescope.

A friend of mine recently re-acquired my former DED - I am going to try my best to twist his arm to take her back. 

Having owned both the 106ed and now the 85, I echo all of Olly's points in regards to focus shift and star flare. The 85 is much more vice free.

I'm surprised the vsd 100 is being dismissed as too expensive. It is about the same price as the FSQ and reducer, has been reported to hold focus well, and covers large chips.

Having owned both the 106ed and now the 85, I echo all of Olly's points in regards to focus shift and star flare. The 85 is much more vice free.

I'm surprised the vsd 100 is being dismissed as too expensive. It is about the same price as the FSQ and reducer, has been reported to hold focus well, and covers large chips.

That's the first 'second opinion' I've ever had. Quite a relief! Thanks for posting.

Olly

Ha! The fsq-106ed focus drift was so bad I sold it.

As did another friend of mine... They just do need robotic focus at most sites, though Velvet on here has no such problems with hers in England. Maybe the nightime temperatures are more stable. Premium observing sites are often very hot by day and very much colder by night.

Olly

Can anyone define what 'sensitive' means in terms of actual temperature changes? My NP127is demands a re-focus for a 1deg C change in temp (noticeable on screen), I can't say off the top of my head the shift in uM but I can work it out. It's some 200 steps of my motor with 175,000 steps total travel (which I haven't measured :) )

ChrisH

Well for me as a non robotic focus user it would mean how long between adjustments. More than once an hour would annoy me no end. The FSQ106EDs that have worked here cannot regularly meet that requirement and cannot, in the earlier stages of the evening, guarantee to hold focus during a single 30 min sub.

Olly

• 1 month later...

Archived