SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meeting with Jupiter in the morning...

NIGHTBOY

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet as :)

Whats mags best for planet viewing through my 200p Dob?? I have 10mm, 25mm, 6mm wide angle and a 2x barlow.

Also are they easy to pick out by eye?? Never seen them before so not quite sure what to expect tbf. I have Stellarium so I will check that in the morning. I know they'll be in the South East.

Then moon is only 40% illuminated and will be worth a look itself, but Jupiter is bright enough to observe relatively close to it. It may be slightly washed out but any clear sky is worth taking at the moment!

Just checked and there are a couple of Gallilean moon & shadow transits tonight which are always worth seeing. Looks like the Io shadow starts around 1.45am, with the moon transit starting around 3am when the shadow is around the meridian. Check the times on stellarium, and don't forget to select 'simulate light speed' so the time is accurate!

Cheers,

Stu

I was not planning to be up due to the cloudy forecast; it 0400 I am thirsty, I walk down to the kitchen to get a drink of water and I look out of the window, I see the majestic view of the last quarter moon and Jupiter side by side seemingly lighting up the garden. I am both amazed and temporarily in shock, I get the telescope and suddenly feel the cold, I realise I am naked and at the same time I see clouds start to roll in.  Very soon the view is lost. What a shame but that short view will remain with me for a long time. :sad::mad:

It was good from my back garden! From 2am Jupiter was high enough above the fence for me to get a good view, I saw 3 of the moons too. After playing around with different eye pieces I going that the 6mm wide angle worked best showing the lines round he planet, I was viewing it in a pretty bad light polluted sky but I could still make out some detail. I was going to hand around for mars but it was just too cold!

Going to try to say hello tonight to Jupiter for the first time this year. Can't wait!

It will blow you away, not literally of course :D, if skies are good up the power in that big Dob of yours and I suspect it will be a sight to behold   :smiley:

It will blow you away, not literally of course :D, if skies are good up the power in that big Dob of yours and I suspect it will be a sight to behold :smiley:

So far the skies are lovely and forecast seems promising, waiting for the neighbours to go sleepies now :)

Beefy!!! I got some good views this morning at around 2.30am. I was going to stay up for Mars but didn't quite make it! Will prob set the alarm tonight for 4am and see what the skies bring. I was viewing it best with a 6mm in my 200p dob, I did use the 2x barlow at one point but Jupiter seemed to travel across my eye piece at a fair rate of knots. :grin:

Archived