Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark sky near London

zicklurky

Ugley is OK, but you do need permission at the site I found - but that was a few years ago and havent been back that often.. If you are coming from SW London surely you would be better placed to get down towards Salisbury or somthing? Its maybe a little bit further but you wouldnt have to deal with the nightmarish Friday night M25, then drive around looking for a good spot to park up. Or even head South towards the New Forest?

Can't really comment on that side of London, but for other weekends nearer you, there is a Surrey group on SGL who observe near Dorking. Guildford AS observe at Albury Heath and Newlands Corner and A4E in that area too.

As mentioned, the New Forest is probably closest for proper dark skies.

Stu

Ahhh Ok, yeah you have a very good point re traffic.

Normally I would rather head south, but it looks like the clouds are rolling in from the south, if the Met is right.

I've hired a car for the weekend, so hopefully 1 night will be nice down my side :)

Thanks!

Haha yes it is :)

I'm SW, near Wimbledon, but the forecast is saying it's cloudy by me but clearer up Essex way, so was thinking of making a trip. Really feel like doing some astro :)

Chris

Ewell AS used to use Headley Heath near Leatherhead but have moved to Ranmoor Common above Dorking outside the M25 - good site for modest travel time. Good luck:-)

Archived