buld a observatory, even if views less than optimal?

kirkster501

Lets face it, not all of us have a East to West clear South facing horizon.  I can either continue my constant and frustrating setting up/tearing down - five times without capturing as much as a single frame these last four weeks - or build soemthing.  Issue is, I'd have to build next to my house so I get a part south horizon, part east and part north.  But little Western horizon.  I would see pretty much half the sky.   So i woudl have to pick my AP objects.  I'd use my quick-to-set-up Dob outside the potential OBS so coud position that anywhere.

Anyone else like this?  I will try to get it pass SWMBO.

Yes, when I next move house a good view will be high on my list of priorities too.  But I must make do where I am now for several years whilst my wife is so unwell.  I need to build something or else I am never going to get to make the most of hour long clear spells.  I am  starting to think clear nights are a thing of the past. We just never get them where I live.  So it must be snatched hours here and there.

This is pretty much how i've been feeling lately although I'm not keen on a full blown obs (although I've got a descent sized garden, it'sa bit narrow at about 6 mtrs) so I'm planing on a concrete pad approx. 3ft wide and 10ft long with a pier down one end and a "phone box/ tardis" on wheels. more of a roll off obs than a roll off roof. the cables will be run to the nearby shed where I have my laptop/table/heater/tv/music/kettle etc. (well ya gotta have some comforts haven't you ;))

Whilst I haven't actually used mine yet, it is now very near to completion and first light (door, pier and electrics remaining).    I have neither a perfect view or the security of long term tenure, but have enjoyed the therapeutic effects of building (excluding the aggravated hernia) and am really looking forward to this winters observing and more time to practice my rudimentary AP!

There are some really good ideas here for smaller and temporary or ultimately relocatable observatories that can be built from a few hundred to many thousands - so plenty of inspiration for all budgets and locations.

Archived