Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7023 - Iris Nebula

tommy_h

Hi

Here is my first attempt with my new Canon 6D (not modified).

About 15 hours exposure time, gathered between June and August

Scope: ASA 10" Astrograph, ASA 3" Wynne-Corrector

Mount: ASA DDM60 

Camera controlling with APT (Astro Photography Tool)

Image Processing with Theli, Fitswork, PixInsight and Photoshop

ngc7023-2013_06_17.jpg

Higher resolution (up to 75%): http://www.distant-lights.at/ngc7023-2013_06_17.htm

Thanks for looking

Thomas

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Utterly superb. The unmodded camera has cost you the hints of red that lurk near the centre of the Iris, I suspect, but the dust is absolutely stunning and the processing beautiful. At very fast F ratios, as here, DSLRs do take on the CCDs. You also have a mind bending depth of data, considering the F ratio. And  of course, it shows.

Magnificent. Yes indeed.

Olly

Thank you all for your nice comments!

The camera was not cooled!

I have made 40x15min subframes at ISO 200 and 34x10min subframes at ISO 400. 

Most of the frames were taken at very high temperatures (exif temperature 30-33 degrees Celsius) and shows a lot of noise. Due to the large amount of frames stacking removed most of the noise.

Of course the red shimmer in the center is lacking but there are many CCD images which does not show it.

I'm thinking about modifying the 6D, but for daylight photography a unmodded camera would be better.

Thank you all for your nice comments!

The camera was not cooled!

I have made 40x15min subframes at ISO 200 and 34x10min subframes at ISO 400. 

Most of the frames were taken at very high temperatures (exif temperature 30-33 degrees Celsius) and shows a lot of noise. Due to the large amount of frames stacking removed most of the noise.

Of course the red shimmer in the center is lacking but there are many CCD images which does not show it.

I'm thinking about modifying the 6D, but for daylight photography a unmodded camera would be better.

Hi,

I have a Baader modified Canon 1000d which auto focuses with my Canon lenses. The colour balance  has shifted towards the red but if you shoot RAW rather than jpeg this should not matter as it can be corrected post process or use a custom white balance. May I ask what software did you use for aligning the subs from the sessions and how you processed this please?

A.G

Hi

I have a Baader modified Canon 1000d which auto focuses with my Canon lenses. The colour balance  has shifted towards the red but if you shoot RAW rather than jpeg this should not matter as it can be corrected post process or use a custom white balance. May I ask what software did you use for aligning the subs from the sessions and how you processed this please?

I know, I have a modified Canon 500D too. Nevertheless the images of a modified camera with custom white balance and a unmodified camera are not the same.

For data calibration and stacking I use Theli, for combining the RGB-channels Fitswork and for image processing Pixinsight and Photoshop.

Thanks for your comments!

@Carole: Light pollution is low, so the conditions are not bad, but not perfect

@russel: most of the guides or tutorials of Fitswork were in German, maybe Google translator helps. I have found only one in English (I think you have found it too): http://intervalometer.appspot.com/Fitswork.jsp

But even in the German guides most of the functions were explained sparsely. Try and error is required.

CS

Thomas

Archived