Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crop of the Pelican - fans of HST palette please advice!

Jessun

Look elsewhere if pink stars on green isn't your cup of tea!

I don't mind them, and here they have been left to fester all on their own.

What I need advice on is where my colour is going. But think original Hubble palette, think jagged crops, think 1990s :smiley: ! Play some MC Hammer if that helps...

Should I do a U-turn on the colour?

Crop of the Pelican below, I knew it was heavy in SII so I captured as much as possible.

Ha: 2h30m

OIII: 3h00m

SII: 9h30m

Atik460/Astrodon 3nm filters.

gallery_16323_1516_1414091.png

Your colour is all there but as with all false colour images, the balance can be adjusted to suit your personal taste. Original Hubble palette images tend to green but there is a popular reconstruction that gives turquoise and gold hues and I attach an example here.

To achieve this, I used PS throughout.

1. Levels to balance the three channels

2. Remove the smaller magenta star colours using filter - noise - reduce noise - reduce colour noise 100%

3. Selective colour - magenta - reduce magenta percentage to work on larger magenta stars

4. Curves - Pin dark background and stretch to taste

5. Exposure - reduce offset

6. Hue/Saturation - boost yellow hues

7. Hue/Saturation - reduce red hues

This is just my take on this data though - false colour, anything goes!

post-1029-0-21865800-1380143074_thumb.jp

What I do is:

In PI:

Integrate the colors into three stacks

Stretch the stacks to a reasonably similar level with PI histogram tool

In PS:

Assemble them to one RGB

Adjust colors

Add a semi-transparent Ha as Lum

Hasta-la-Vista Green

Extremely small curve adjustment to taste

Kill magenta completely with a hue/sat targeting magenta and sat 0

Result is like my just posted Elephant.

Shall I make a tutorial?

/per

OK, Jesper, I know you know advanced stuff like not using the flight director upside down or sucking in birds into CFMs. I am also pretty sure that you know how to do a vector approach in zero visibility and get your wheels on the ground safely. Now, here's adding to your skills - well, anyone is welcome to this, of course - regarding the Hubble palette and narrowband imaging.

I have assembled two silent movies for you. One is of the pre-stretching that I do in PI with the aid of the screen transfer function, the other is of the assembly and hubblification of the three stacks in Photoshop. I guess we'll post this somewhere useful if people find it to be of help.

A few notes.

In PI, you can take the stretch parameters from a screen transfer window by dragging the little triangle to the Histogram tool. This is done for all three stacks so pay attention there. After moving the parameters to the histogram tool, just back off some as it stretches a bit too much.

In PS, you will notice that I, at one point, create a layer from all layers without destroying the underlying layers. That acts like a complete copy of what the data looks like right at the time it was created. It is invoked by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E. I do not think that there is a menu item for it but I may be wrong. It is needed for certian functions that expect a complete layer to work on (like HLVG).

Anyway, have fun watching the show!

/per

http://filer.frejvall.se/HubblePI.html

http://filer.frejvall.se/HubblePS.html

Archived