SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

[WIP] IC1396 (Ha complete) (Stephen/Velvet joint project)

Stephen

I've been a bit quiet on the imaging front recently but I've been a little busy working with Velvet getting data for this :)

A four panel mosaic of IC1396. Popular target I confess, but we're putting a lot of time into this one and going big with the final result. Velvet advises me this FOV is about six times the apparent size of the full moon :o

4 (panels) x 36 (exposures) x 300 (seconds) on Velvet's FSQ-106 with the 0.73x reducer and Astrodon 5nm Ha filer (SX H694)
4 (panels) x 36 (exposures) x 300 (seconds) on my FSQ-85 with the 0.73x reducer and Baader 7nm Ha filer (Atik 460ex)

In case you can't be bothered to work it out, that's 24 hours total exposure!!!
This is a WIP so whilst the joins are not perfect yet ... they will be :evil:
Just 24 hours of Oiii and 24 hours of Sii to go :wallbash:

So ... onto the images! First up, the full thing Astrobin stylee - you won't get a sense of scale from this but it will show you the overall picture and plate solving if you click through on the image ...

e6232d1e-c096-4d6d-8570-b404b315be3f.jpg

Now Microsoft have this cool web site that allows you to create interactive images. Despite the name there's no zooming that actually goes on here, the initial view is greatly zoomed out but using the controls you can zoom in up to 100% (real size.)

http://zoom.it/R00u

And finally a 100% crop (in case zooming around didn't convey the scale) ...

3e8df9b3-6aa9-487d-8872-bdf05a017b8d.jpg

Enjoy :D

Very nice indeed and huge. Any plans to add RGB data?

Not as in traditional RGB no. The plan for this is to shoot the three narrow band channels (Ha, Oiii, Sii) and produce a "Hubble palette" image - though a true colour (still created from the narrow band data) is not outside the realms of possibility as Velvet prefers that to Hubble :)

Archived