SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Northern Lights Cruises

Hey folks,

My wife and I are seriously considering doing a Northern Lights cruise around the end of October and we were wondering if anybody has done one at this time of year. We really hope to see the lights. Any chance or is it too early?

Thanks for any advice.

Not sure if this is an organised event, and therefore you would have someone already in mind to book through.

Otherwise:

There was an agent at the SWAF doing them, cannot recall the name of them but they seemed reasonable.

They use the Hurtigruten ferries that travel up and down the coast.

May be worth checking the packages that they do, if you can find them.

If you do it yourself then check the Hurtigruten.com and the Hurtigruten.co.uk site - prices vary I noticed when I looked a year back.

Checked the SWAF site and they are too efficent, the 2013 event detail have gone and they are displaying for the 2014 one. Basically ccannot see which trades stands were there.

The Hurtigruten ferries vary in size and so what is onboard and provided.

Cruise and maritime are doing 14 night norway cruise in october and march. Adult only boat and goes right up to alta in artic circle. Been on fjord cruise on marco polo ship with company before and was fine. Starts at tilbury, then amsterdam and right up norwegian coast. Should have at least a weeks chance to see the lights and if not at least you will have the red ones of amsterdam!! With the wife by your side of course.

The good lady and myself are going on a 12 day cruise at the end of November and are really looking forward to it. We've booked through Hurtigruten and it sails up the Norwegian coast, across the Arctic Circle and almost as far as the Russian border.

The forecast is that 2013/2014 Winter will be a great period for the wondrous Northern Lights to put on a display - hope they're right!

We were on the Hurtigruten Arctic Highlights in March this year and saw the aurora on 3 nights. We chose March rather than the autumn months as the weather is supposed to be better. Although we were lucky as there was rain all of the previous week and so no aurora visible

Adrian

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

We are going on a Hurtigruten 12 night Northern Lights Cruise in December and will be keeping our finger's crossed that the weather is kind and we see them.

I think it is worth mentioning that Hurtigruten do not offer luxury cruises, as previously said they are primarily a ferry service. They call into 30+ ports on the way up and again on the way back, sometimes spending a few hours at a port and just a few minutes at others.

There are a number of excursions available on the way, at extra cost of course, but again they are not guaranteed. Eg. Sled dog ride, snowmobile rides. My understanding is that prices on board the Hurtigruten Ferries are expensive

However, we can't wait. :grin:

We once went to Finnish Lapland for an ice chapel wedding. The main inducement for me was a chance to see the Northern Lights. Unfortunately there was a full moon while we were there, so we didn't see anything. We were disappointed, but not so much as the Japanese honeymoon couples in the glass domed igloos who believed that it brings good luck to conceive under the Northern Lights.

So it's worth checking the phase of the moon before booking:rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Have you been on the marco polo before brucen?

No, this will be the first time. We have done a few cruises but always on 'big ones' such as the Queen Mary 2. We saw this cruise advertised in the papers and it stops under the path of the eclipse somewhere near Iceland so thought we would give it a go.

Im not sure how old you are but last time i was aboard almost everyone was in their 70s. Maybe the cold will make the average age younger. Food was good and staff friendly. Ship is fine for sight seeing, not sure id fancy a carribean cruise on it tho.I hear staff call your room to wake you up if there is any sign of northern lights. I go march 2014 so not so long to wait but no eclipse. Maybe book if this one is good.

Im not sure how old you are but last time i was aboard almost everyone was in their 70s. Maybe the cold will make the average age younger. Food was good and staff friendly. Ship is fine for sight seeing, not sure id fancy a carribean cruise on it tho.I hear staff call your room to wake you up if there is any sign of northern lights. I go march 2014 so not so long to wait but no eclipse. Maybe book if this one is good.

Cruises in general have changed now. They used to be the realm of retired people,but no so these days. Lots of young people and families are now taking cruises,because they really are becoming cheaper and good value for money. 

I cant comment on any ship in particular as ive never been on a cruise.........apart from the "booze cruise" between Dun Laoghaire and Holyhead. I'd imagine any ship that advertises a cruise to see the "Northern Lights" is aiming at a specific target audience and to be honest that could be pretty much anyone from young to old. I cant see many kids being on such a cruise (YAY!!!), but certainly could be a mixed bunch.

Luckily we tend to prefer our own company on holiday so the age thing is not too much of a problem. We did one cruise where there were a load of children - not against children as we have 2 ourselves - but on occasions it was hard to find somewhere quiet to sit and watch the world go by! We still have quite a few years before we reach the 70's so will be doing our bit to lower the average as well!!

Archived