Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Jammy

Skywatcher ST80 as guidescope for C9.25

This question has probably been answered a dozen times, but I haven't found the answer either here or on the manufacturers website.

Does anybody know the physical dimensions of a Skywatcher ST80 telescope?

I'm thinking of getting one to use as a guidescope for my C9.25, and don't really want a guidescope thats going to be longer than the main scope.

Also, can you tell me what size tube rings this scope will need for attaching it?

I've seen the ADM mini dovetail system for attaching the scope on the FLO webiste.  Are there any better ways of attaching a guidescope to an C9.25 telescope?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the focal length given on various websites, but would like to know what the actual overall length is. Does anyone have an ST 80 and a tape measure?

Mine is buried in a case, and I can't easily get at it. However the case is 450mm (Maplin flight case). Ok the focusser is fully retracted, and to reach focus with a guidecam you do need an extention tube or two (30mm added at least) that should give a close approximation. Mine is a Konus Vista80s, but it's the same scope.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen the focal length given on various websites, but would like to know what the actual overall length is. Does anyone have an ST 80 and a tape measure?

As shown in the photo, mounted on an 8" SCT, the length is 440 mm from the end of the diagonal to the end of the dew shield.  The outside diameter of the dew shield is 100 mm.

post-27603-0-22015700-1375471738_thumb.j

Looks a great setup :) How have you attached the guidescope Pat? I can't see any tube rings in the photo, but I am looking at a tiny photo on my phone!

Just to throw a spanner in the works, you might want to consider an OAG, which should give you a better guiding performance with the long focal length of the C9.25.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, you might want to consider an OAG, which should give you a better guiding performance with the long focal length of the C9.25.

I've seen other posts on this forum saying that you should avoid OAG with the C9.25 because of the long focal length, unless I'm mistaken?

I'm totally confused now :laugh:

I've recently bought a f6.3 focal reducer and want to try my hand at imaging with a DSLR.  I don't have a guide camera and guide scope as yet.  I'm still open to suggestions as to the best way forward.

When I've exhausted the DSLR option I may move onto a dedicated CCD camera, but that's some way off.

All guiding suggestions greatly received :)

People do use guidescopes with SCTs but I use ST80s for guiding our refractors and an OAG for guiding Yves' resident 14 inch Dall Kirkham (similar to an SCT.) I would consider the OAG a far safer bet since you have a long focal length which must be kept to sub pixel errors if you are to exploit the theoretical resolution of your optics. Round stars do not define sub pixel tracking accuracy. They may arise from a randomly distributed set of small guiding errors.

Olly

I have an C9.25 and use a QHY5+9x50Finderscope as my guider and it works a treat, cheaper as well i'd assume. Heres a pic of mine

post-9689-0-30403800-1380202359_thumb.jp

Looks a great setup :) How have you attached the guidescope Pat? I can't see any tube rings in the photo, but I am looking at a tiny photo on my phone!

My SW 80mm came with a system to bolt directly to the mount as in the attached photo. I attached a vixen clamp to the scope which mounts onto the vixen dovetail on top of the SCT. The clamp is a short ADM style removed from a Duo-T mount upgraded to dual ADM DV clamps.

post-27603-0-32616100-1380203737_thumb.j

I've seen other posts on this forum saying that you should avoid OAG with the C9.25 because of the long focal length, unless I'm mistaken?

I'm totally confused now :laugh:

Can you give a link to these posts as long focal lengths is where an OAG comes into its own.  It also helps to address problems with SCT mirror flop.

As I said, it's probably my misunderstanding.

I can see how it could help, especially now that you have mentioned SCT mirror flop.

Do off-axis guiders differ for using DSLRS and CCD cameras?  I mean the fitting of the image camera, not the guide camera.

I need to read up on this I guess.

Thanks again Mike.  I've been reading a few threads and trying to learn more about OAG.  I'll have a look through your suggested threads, and will no doubt come back with a stack more questions.  Sorry in advance! :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By willcastle
      Wow so my new scope arrived and I was running through all the different options for guiding. I thought I would share my experience and hopefully other beginners might find something useful from this. 
      I purchased a skywatcher evostar 80ED Pro with a HEQ5 Pro mount and it came with two green dovetail bars. I already had an ST-80T that I wanted to mount on top but the “dovetail bar” that came with that was a small useless plastic block. 
      The biggest, most annoying hurdle with this process was that on each dovetail bar, there were metric- and whitworth-threaded holes, with different diameters. What I ended up doing, was taking off the evostar dovetail and attaching that to the top of the evostar scope rings. This was important because this dovetail bar has a slot in it, that allowed me to correctly space the guidescope rings.
      I only had two whitworth bolts (fortunately that were quite long and had nuts  with them), but I used each of those to attach the dovetail bar to the top of the evostar rings. The whitworth bolts were both cut down to size, and the spare part of the thread was used to attach one of the guidescope rings to the top dovetail bar.
      Note that I had to drill out the thread of the ST80 rings, as they were metric threads, where as the dovetail had whitworth threading!
      I screwed the length of whitworth bolt down from the top and used the nut and a small washer to tighten it down. For the second ring, I placed it in the slot of the dovetail bar and used a small length of metric thread, that I could then bolt from each side (effectively clamping everything together).  
      Finally, I attached the dovetail bar that came with the HEQ5 (I think it might be the standard, medium dovetail bar that you can purchase separately), to the bottom of the evostar rings. I think I used the bolts that were originally in the bottom of the ST80 rings to bolt those down, and then added in the lateral screws to make sure the rings couldn’t rotate. 
      It was considerably harder work than it needed to be but I am pleased with the results. It cost me nothing but time and a bit of effort. I know that the guide rings don’t have adjustment bolts, but at least with the current set up, there is no determinable flex, and with an 80mm scope, it shouldn’t be hard finding a guide star. I am a fan of having the matching green dovetail bars. And I have attached the guide camera and DSLR and can perfectly balance the mount. So overall, a great result. 

• By stevebb
      Celestron C8 XLT + extras and SkyWatcher Star Travel 80 (ST80)
      I have a Celestron C8 with XLT Starbrite coatings. Will include the full length base plate, both visual and imaging backs, scope rings, front 8" end cap and the finder scope with it. No box I'm afraid. Optics are good and clean, focal length is huge - 2300mm from memory. This lot would cost close to £1300 new and one with less spec went for £750 on fleabay recently. Might be interested in a part exchange or will let it go for £450 collection only.
      Also, I have a SkyWatcher Star Traveler 80 - good optics, used as a guide scope - just the scope itself (does not include the barlow in the photo) - now including dovetail bar and scope rings looking at around £50 for it.
      I have decided to save up for another refractor, WO, Equinox or even toward an Esprit. However, I would also consider p/ex for an Intel NUC and/or Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox.
      Please excuse some of the colours - I used my astro modded 6D which was in the observatory so the "nice" purple is actually black !!
      Both these are collection only.

• By Geordie mc
      8 inch Newtonian for visual or astrophotography use. Mount is a good solid unit. Comes with mains and cigar lighter power leads. 28mm 2 inch eyepiece. 25 and 10mm I.25 inch eyepieces and 2x Barlow. Skywatcher coma corrector. Red light torch (needs new batteries). Padded carry case for scope. Skywatcher ST80 guide scope with Skywatcher guidescope mount. Extra counterweight. Azimuth bolts are metal upgrades from Bob’s Knobs. Carry case for eyepieces etc.
      Looking for offers around £750 for the whole setup. (Preferred option). But,  I would consider splitting the scope, mount, coma corrector, case, ST80 and guidescope mount. Make me a sensible offer.
      I would also consider a swap for a one shot Colour ccd or cmos camera for deep sky use. Must be cooled and small bodied for Hyperstar use such as Atik Horizon os asi 533 pro. Tell me what you’ve got and we can work something out if the camera is suitable.

i live in France in the Haute Vienne but am back in the UK at Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire from Dec.20 to 28th. I could leave kit for collection in the New Year if that helps. Collection only please. Payment by PayPal only. Many thanks.

• By Adam J
      Here we have a clone of an ST80 branded as Helios, 80mm Achromatic F5 objective. (OTA only)
      Its not in the best condition. Numerous shallow scratches to the outer surface of the primary being the main issue.
      However, my assessment is that its not quite ready for the great telescope graveyard in the sky yet.
      The scratches of course will not be resolved when in focus and so it will still work as a guide scope or perhaps something to let younger children loose on without fear of what they might do to your ED triplet.
      Its mechanically sound in terms of the body / focuser / tube rings, so perhaps someone can make me an offer on those components for spare parts?
      For the whole thing I would be looking for 30 pounds to make it worth posting it realistically, I think that the tube rings / focuser together are worth that as spares parts to someone regardless of the objective.
      If you are willing to pick it up from Lincoln then a token amount would be accepted so make me an offer. 

Adam

• By Kelian98
      Hello,
      I wonder how can I mount the ZWO ASI 60mm Guidescope on the Evostar 72ED (elsewhere than the Vixen Style Finderscope Shoe, because the guidescope seems to be a bit too heavy).
      Do I need a Vixen Bar of a specific length ? Or another type of adaptor ?
      Is someone using another solution ?
      Thanks !

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.