SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Essex

ENWOD

Hello all, have just recently bought a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ; i'm pretty much an absolute noobie to astronomy but have seen some nice sights so far: M42 (looked absolutely amazing :rolleyes:), the moon, Mars (a small fuzzy red star like object with bits of white) Most is restricted by me being too cold and it being too cloudy. Anyone got any ideas as to what to look at next?

P.S. check out My Topic and have your best go at answering the first of many questions :lol:

Enwood, about a month ago, and at the moment I only have a pair of Bins. I'm going to get a scope in the new year, when I've made my mind up what it is I want (it's a tough one!!!). I'm hoping to get some astro stuff (books etc) for xmas.

Enwood. I don't mind you asking and no not really (maybe just young at heart and in the head). Just doing this whilst working at the moment, so possibly a little distracted, or maybe it's more like a kid with new toys... :rolleyes:. My problem with the scope is going around and around in circles, wanting something small, lightweight and easy to store so that my wife won't try to brain me with the OTA as it's in the way all the time, against wanting to be able to see as much as possible. I'm leaving the details questions till the new year.

lol jgs001 probably the best places to be young though. Thank you all for the warm welcomes, also jgs001 the Celestron 130EQ i bought; i was fairly surprised by what you can see with it. Mind you it was a lot heavier than i had expected not sure if you want more light gathering power than that though however my first view of M42 was still jawdropping. Good luck finding the right scope for you, if you want to ask me any questions fell free :rolleyes: thank you once again for the welcomes.

Hi. Enwod, welcome to SGL the mecca of astronomy forums. I am a long ways up in the north from yourself, Ant, and Rog.

But, I do know Benfleet , Canvey Island, and Southend from my boyhood days. Is the Kursaal still there, I doubt it.

I stayed on Canvey for weeks at a time in the summer holidays. My sister lived there until those major floods years ago.

I can understand Ant's frustration on Canvey, it's that pesky oil refinery stour thats to blame. I used to love the place, and would watch the lights of the Royal Daffodil, and the Royal Sovereign, as they sailed down the Estuary.

Anyway I digress, happy memories you see :rolleyes:

You will get a great fillip from looking at double stars too. You will be able to split some close doubles, and marvel at their different colours.

There are loads of doubles, but you will need some help to find them. A good star atlas will help. Also, we have guys on here who are double orientated, the one who comes to mind is Lunator, who has done some very good work in that area. I am sure he will be pleased to give you any advice you might need.

I hope you get plenty of great views from your new instrument.

Cheers.

Ron. :lol:

Once again thank you all for the warm welcomes! 'tis much appreciated :rolleyes:

Last time I went to Southend (year or so ago) the Kursal was still there and going strong. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction; everyone who's replied. Shall probably be seeking help at some point soon.

Hi ENWOOD, a warm welcome as always to the Forum, yup another Essex man here , at Langdon Hills , not to far from Ant, mainly imaging from me , but started off viewing , if ever you need to progress to imaging , then you are always welcome here at Rogers Dome land, for any help .

Cheers

Rog :rolleyes:

Archived