Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which screws to buy for finder guider upgrade?

Russe

Know nothing about guiders, but find most movement of my finder comes from not having dovetail thumbscrew tight enough, i'd look at improving that arrangement first.

A slightly bigger cross sectional o ring at front end might also help reduce unwanted movements?,think installed one is 2mm thick.

Finally,Locking nuts on existing thumbscrews maybe?

On my 9x50-QHY5 FinderGuider I coated the end of the big mounting thumbscrew with some black felt tip and then tightened up the screw to secure the finder bracket to the mount, then undid it all and then drilled a small hole where the felt tip marked the bracket, drilled in only about 2mm so that now the thumbscrew will lock into the hole to secure the finder to the mount.

Reason was that there was some flex it the thumbscrew was not tight enough, also once the screw was not on tight enough and the finder slid out of the mount when the mount was pointing at zenith and was only saved by the usb cable not coming out!!!

Archived