(Avoiding) The Perils of Lightning Strike

Macavity

As I merrily string out 30m cables (Coax, Cat6 etc.) for remote control of my (video astronomy) observatory, it suddenly struck occurred to me... Should I be concerned re. the possibility of lightning strike. Might be tempting fate by running EIGHT remote cables right behind my favourite TV viewing armchair. :D

I remember radio amateurs using surge protectors for coax (check) - Looks like they exist for CatN too.

Will have to confirm there's no degradation of the image though. Bit expensive too!

Hmmm... Astronomy or a Fiery Death -  Decisions, decisions... :p

I suppose, as with parachutes, few people request REFUNDS on these devices, if they don't work! 

Wouldn't a lightening strike possibility mean you were standing outside in rain and under some very dense clouds?

Even if no rain I think you still need the clouds to generate the electrical potentials and charges required. So if there is dense cloud you cannot view anything. So why woiuld you take a scope out, as it seems a bit pointless.

Ooops, forgot to reply. Well, somewhat in levity. But something from my youth, I was reminded of... Ordinary people once had "external aerials" for radio reception and seriously considered such things! Burying cables is no absolute guarantee either. The technology of (theory of) guarding against lightning strike intrigued. That such devices still exist is perhaps significant...  ;)

The site is permanent, the 30m cables run partly at 8' feet above ground - All at 200m asl. :p

(Apologies for the diversity of units in which I think... Also for historical reasons?) 

Ooops, forgot to reply. Well, somewhat in levity. But something from my youth, I was reminded of... Ordinary people once had "external aerials" for radio reception and seriously considered such things! Burying cables is no absolute guarantee either. The technology of (theory of) guarding against lightning strike intrigued. That such devices still exist is perhaps significant...  ;)

We had an FM aerial on our roof when I was a kid (I seem to remember badgering my folks until they fitted one so I could listen to high quality radio reception on my top quality Sanyo midi unit ;)).

Ours was the highest house in the area and we definitely unplugged the coax cable when thunderclouds gathered!

Archived