SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Video Astronomy - Star Party

Spacedout

Hello All,

Has anyone ever thought about a star party specifically for Video Astronomy?  I have never been to a star party and would love to go one but I am concerned I may upset people with bright lights from my monitor.  I'm guessing I would not be too popular if I got out the 76" screen and projector either!  Something for the future I think given the rate this forum is growing at!

Regards

Karl

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just the one monitor would never do us lot....think we would get burnt at the stake turning up at a star party wae our kit.....if you block book n pay the flights and set up tents in your back yard I'm Shure you would get takers on your star party ;)....lol ....Davy

If it was just video star party, I cant see it being a problem, because everyone will be in the same boat. I did see a photo of a bloke with a projector on a tall tripod and he had it pointing down onto the concrete floor and it looked really good, it looked about the size of a 32'' to 40'', had me thinking about getting one of those mini pocket projectors and doing the same.

At our astro club in the winter months we go outside if its a clear night and setup our gear and one lad brought his projector and screen and setup in the corner and had it on the moon and it didn't seem to give any problems he had quite a few people gathered round watching.

Hello All,

Has anyone ever thought about a star party specifically for Video Astronomy?  I have never been to a star party and would love to go one but I am concerned I may upset people with bright lights from my monitor.  I'm guessing I would not be too popular if I got out the 76" screen and projector either!  Something for the future I think given the rate this forum is growing at!

Regards

Karl

Karl if you got out your 76'' screen I would except a row of chairs lined up and a girl in a skimpy outfit going round with the popcorn :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you set up a popup tent and a 22" or 32" Monitor inside? :)

A video star party would be nice, though I live across the pond :-)

Yes good thinking Marcus and I had the same idea recently.  I had to buy a pop up marquee a few weeks back for my daughter's christening and almost bought a black one for selfish reasons!  Needles to say I did not want to risk my do dahs with the missus and opted for a more appropriate colour :grin:   That said however I'm still looking into it but I think the material would need to be a bit thicker than the one I bought.  I think it would be a must though at a normal star party and would definitely create much interest. 

Thanks

Karl

Just the one monitor would never do us lot....think we would get burnt at the stake turning up at a star party wae our kit.....if you block book n pay the flights and set up tents in your back yard I'm Shure you would get takers on your star party ;)....lol ....Davy

Not my back garden Davey you can only just get my scope in there!  I though we could all come up to you anyway as you probably have the darkest skies of all :grin:

Cheers

Karl

If it was just video star party, I cant see it being a problem, because everyone will be in the same boat. I did see a photo of a bloke with a projector on a tall tripod and he had it pointing down onto the concrete floor and it looked really good, it looked about the size of a 32'' to 40'', had me thinking about getting one of those mini pocket projectors and doing the same.

At our astro club in the winter months we go outside if its a clear night and setup our gear and one lad brought his projector and screen and setup in the corner and had it on the moon and it didn't seem to give any problems he had quite a few people gathered round watching.

That is what I was thinking Johnno, all in the same boat, no complaints.  I'm also thinking it would be great to all the various set ups and learn heaps, and I have lots to learn that is for sure! 

The Astronomy Centre would be pleased to host such an event, we have several astro video cameras here, a couple of 61" plasmas and plenty of space.  :smiley:

Thank you Peter that would be fantastic and I for one would definitely be up for that!!  I've just been on your website and the centre looks amazing.  Hopefully some others into VA will be interested so we can get the ball rolling and thanks for offer :grin:  :grin:

Regards

Karl

It would be rude not to attend if it was held at the astronomy centre - Todmorden is only a few miles away from me!!

Should probably arrange to visit anyway - I've never been despite being local!!

Clear Skies

Paul

Crikey Paul it's a must it looks the business.  It must be a 6 hour drive for me but I'd be up for that if there is a VA star party there for sure!  :icon_bounce:  :icon_compress:  :icon_bounce:

Have a look at this link from the Mallincam Yahoo group.  This is what I'm thinking - Several large screens all showing different images of various objects it would be amazing!!

Crikey Paul it's a must it looks the business.  It must be a 6 hour drive for me but I'd be up for that if there is a VA star party there for sure!  :icon_bounce:  :icon_compress:  :icon_bounce:

Have a look at this link from the Mallincam Yahoo group.  This is what I'm thinking - Several large screens all showing different images of various objects it would be amazing!!

Oooops... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mallincam/photos/album/707810835/pic/list?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

Chris .....if sir pat hadn't been on a film show...I'd have thought I went in the rang door...came away wae head like a skelpt ........ ( you know the blank).....there's a wee swaree over the dyke you could take yer wee monster too..get it christened. ..lol...Davy

Archived