SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Sky at Night - The End

palebluedot

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to deep thought - Yeah, but arguably a national broadcaster isn't how such programmes should be produced in these days of the Internet.

I believe however that part of the BBC's charter is that it must produce a certain amount of programming directed towards minority audiences.  Though looking at the schedules these days one would be more inclined to believe that it was mostly programming directed at audiences with the minority of brain cells.

James

I didn't realise it was a done deal ! The very recent " Rumour " I heard was that they were going to give the programme 12 months then have a meeting to decide it's future. That was due in December.

Re the production staff. When I had the chance to watch them filming they had just one producer ( Jane Fletcher ) and three other staff. Can't remember precisely but I think it was two camera men and one sound man. Not too overloaded.

I hope the decision hasn't been made to axe it.

Dave.

So let me see.....      In order to help do something to stop the trend of increasing ignorance of technical detail through a broad spectrum of well balanced and educationally interesting programming, they are reducing the level of technical detail in order to provide entertainment and escapist soma to couch potatoes who's interest in technical detail is minimal due to growing up with decreasingly educational television programming.

At this rate, all of the BBC's programming will be for children and (as previously noted by DeepThought) people who like puppets.

The question is, are they getting the balance wrong.... or are they giving us exactly what we want?

Maybe we (society) are contributing to this demise (if a demise is what it is?) by accepting whatever is presented to us?  

I prefer the new format, patrick was good, but rather hard to understand in his latter years. The inclusion of more amateur aimed content is welcome. Given that people produce plenty of astro radio programmes... Astronomy.fm etc, I can't see there is a cost issue. You could always get a few people to continue it as a hobby. The bbc has done well for science and nature in recent years and I would hope this would continue in their public service role.... It is good for people to have an alternative to voting personality shows....

PeterW

I didn't realise it was a done deal ! The very recent " Rumour " I heard was that they were going to give the programme 12 months then have a meeting to decide it's future. That was due in December.

A good point here, although this has become a wider discussion about the BBC in general (which I have been more than happy to contribute to) it's probably worth reminding anyone new to this thread that to my knowledge nobody has said they are going to axe anything and this is still just a rumour. A rumour that I haven't heard mentioned outside of this thread either.

A good point here, although this has become a wider discussion about the BBC in general (which I have been more than happy to contribute to) it's probably worth reminding anyone new to this thread that to my knowledge nobody has said they are going to axe anything and this is still just a rumour. A rumour that I haven't heard mentioned outside of this thread either.

The onfo I got is now a month old. It wasn't from the Horse's mouth but from someone who knows someone who will hear it from said Horse. It could all be Chinese whispers.

Re the BBC. A great shame but it's populated by human beings. We all know the problems with them  :)

Dave.

I seriously hope that S@N is not to end.

Plan B: perhaps if the existing presenters could also cook then they would hold the key to a new replacement cooking programme, maybe called something along the lines of 'Cooking With The Stars'? Fascinating astronomical facts  interspersed with predictions by Russell Grant plus celebrity guests appearances all plugging their comeback/latest book/job.

I seriously hope that S@N is not to end.

Cheers,

Steve

Surely there would be room on BBC News 24 for Sky at night.

They have Click for technology.

They also have book reviews and film clubs.

Surely a slot within another of the regular programs can be found.

If filming resources are costing money - the burden can be absorbed by the parent program.

I believe Channel-4 sponsors and promotes the arts, and minority interest programs.

Time team has gone.

That was an ideal lesson on how to generate public interest.

Do you have the source of you rumour? For all we know it could be you who is starting it.. ;)

Nick Howes has just tweeted me that he has it on official authority that the rumour is true.

Cheers, you are right it is the end for The Sky at Night.. There will be riots.. :eek:

The BBC used to have standards, Channel 4 used to support minority interest groups, but that has all gone these days. The companies are now run by the 'yuppies' of the world, hence why todays TV programs are erm .. what they now are :(

Education from the TV is now totally defined by all the cooking programs, the unreality shows, agonising soap operas :(

What I really don't understand is how can a race of beings that claim to be intelligent and oh so important to the universe become so dependant on such meaningless drivel? .. how, why ??? ... I can only assume I'm missing something here.

What I really don't understand is how can a race of beings that claim to be intelligent and oh so important to the universe become so dependant on such meaningless drivel? .. how, why ??? ... I can only assume I'm missing something here.

Because they have an incredibly inflated opinion of themselves in the main, I think :)

I could go off on one here about how the modern world seems to work to reinforce people's negative opinions of themselves and their abilities and how that leads to people who see vegetating in front of the television as all they can do with their spare time thus encouraging the same behaviour in their children, but a thread about S@N is probably not the place :D

James

The bbc and other tv channels used to target a wide variety of viewers

Now that audience has narrowed to a certain viewer as cath said 

With tv programs like cooking reality and soaps cheap tv i call it 

But what makes it worse is when we are all paying for these programs through the licence fee

Archived