SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEADS UP SCAM WARNING

robbie c

Good for this person for posting the warning. This scammer has been operating for months. The main give away is that the same scopes / photos / descriptions seem to get used each time, all exotic equipment of course at a seemingly bargain price. I've reported it to e.bay at least twice and the ads have been removed only to be replaced a few days later with a new lot under a new seller ID. EBay really need to get to grips with this scammer as he's not only taking in potential buyers but hacking legit sellers accounts too :mad:  

Good for this person for posting the warning. This scammer has been operating for months. The main give away is that the same scopes / photos / descriptions seem to get used each time, all exotic equipment of course at a seemingly bargain price. I've reported it to e.bay at least twice and the ads have been removed only to be replaced a few days later with a new lot under a new seller ID. EBay really need to get to grips with this scammer as he's not only taking in potential buyers but hacking legit sellers accounts too :mad:  

I couldn't agree more John I just cant believe they cant/wont do anything about it, I did see the advert come up 2/3 days ago and wasn't to sure about it so was going to post on here to see that you guys thought about it but when I went back to it about 10mins later it had gone  

There are "plenty" of scams like this on ebay, I don't quite comprehend why people don't read the T&C's regarding purchasing and the protection this brings IF you operate within the ebay rules and framework.

Why would you risk £1400 and not have ebay protection?

I can't help thinking tough luck, buyer beware, on the other hand banks need to accept a social responsibility to help out when things like this happen, they can get to the scammer quite easily with a little forensic accounting

Not good but the guy ignored everything and did things exactly as many here, and ebay, say not to. Ebay cannot check every sale as they come up, suspect there are millions or billions of posts daily. As to the bank, he made the transfer all legal and proper, it is not their concern it is a police matter now.

I will not buy anything from anyone, ebay or otherwise (yes includes SGL), that wants to use Paypal as a gift, never mind forget all security to me and send the money direct to some unknown bank account.

First thing to me is the mix of GB£ and US$. Would a Meade AC adaptor for $59.99 (wrong price how the US price things) not have a US plug, and possibly be 110volts?

The sort code is Leicester, did he get an address (fictitious no doubt) just to do some check against.

Worst thing is that in January/February there will be loads of these: Stargazing Live means everyone goes looking for a bargain scope.

Well, I participated in a number of threads on SGL warning of this exact scam.

I'll notified account holders on a couple of occasions but it became a chore. The simple fact is people MUST be careful on e.bay. Never "wire" money to accounts outside the protection of Paypal unless it's cash on collection.

He's been at it all year with various telescopes on numerous hacked accounts. The same scopes keep cropping up time and time again.

Anyway, now that my search for a new scope has ended (I ordered a new one) I won't be seeing these scams in future.

Hey, Let's be careful out there....

Archived