Teleview Panoptics

I now have a good small collection of eyepieces.

8.5mm and 12mm Pentax XF's.I have a 5mm Radian and 24mm  Panoptic,also a Meade 20mm QX 1 1/4..All these eyepieces satisfy expected quality of visual views.My dilemma is that as good as the 24mm Panoptic is,I always find myself using and enjoying the 20mm Meade.The Meade does have it's limitations,but the added magnificatiion of the 20mm while still giving a good wide field view just keeps it in the focusser.The 24mm seldom used.I am thinking of selling the 24mm Panoptics to fund a 19mm Panoptic or similar quality 20mm wide field.

Any advice would be welcome.1 1/4 inch eyepieces are preferred.

I use a Skywatcher 250mm PDS.The 24mm gives 50x magnification and the 20mm gives 60x mag.

As always, personal preference comes into this but I went with a Pentax 20mm XW instead of a 24mm Panoptic. I mainly use the Dob version 250PX for observing. If you are happy with the views the Meade gives, why not stick with that?

I like the 20mm view over the 24mm for wide field.But think that the televue gives a better quality view that the Meade.It is a good point that you make though.

if I were you, I'd save up or try to get hold of a 19mm Panoptic that you can borrow while you still have your other eyepieces. try putting them away in a cupboard for a while in turn and see which you miss least. 

if I didn't have a 26mm Nagler and need a 32mm plossl for solar I'd be looking to get a 24mm Panoptic as it's one of the best 1.25" eyepieces around.

Of the three 1.25" Panoptics, I always felt the 19mm was the gem...so better than the 24.  However, it does have shorter eye relief than the 24.  So if a well corrected 20mm is what you are after, then the 19mm Pan or 20mm ES 68 are both fantastic, although eye relief getting a bit personal.  The 20 XW of course is way comfortable at 20mm ER, but may show some field curvature, depending on the scope.

I don't see them here in the U.S. except through websites that ship to U.S.  And yes, these are obviously OEM rebrands that we have seen before from the well known branding.  And those, both the 68 and 82 degree versions were excellent optically and every bit as good as current day ES82s and ES68s, except not nitrogen or argon purged.  I had the 82s under the popular branding for a long time and liked them a lotand they were quite competent in my f/4.7 scope.

I was thinking of selling my 24mm Panoptic to fund the 19mm Pan.I  do use the 24mm,but I mostly use a Meade 20mm QX eyepiece.The 24mm does get occassional use.I am grateful for the advice given and a minded to not sell the 24mm Pan.Having now thought about it for a while I am  tempted by the Maxvision 18mm 82 degree field eyepiece (thanks for the Maxvision tip Andrew).My question is ,while the Maxvision's may not be as good a quality as the Televue Panoptic.,s it likely to be a better quality view  than the Meade QX.I am not looking to spend more than £120 ish.

The 18mm would fill a gap between the 12 mm and 24 mm in my eyepiece collection?

I am looking for 1 1/4 inch barrel and around 65 degree field.Any input would be great.

Thanks

I can't speak for the qx series as I have never tried them I do however have a 24mm maxvision uwa and it is very good not quite as good as my delos and xw but very nearly. all the reports of the maxvision 68 degrees have been very good and I certainly rate my 24mm  82 I do wish it was a 11/4" barrel though. The maxvisions really are very good for the price

Archived