SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

stabilizing decking.

Bungielad

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to move to a house after 5 years of living in an apartment, the house is great for most things but not so good for observing. The garden is pretty much covered by non observing obstacles and the front of the house's entrance is a kind of strange set up but would give me some great views.

The problem is that the front of the house is suspended on strong metal rods with a kind of decking on top to enter the house. Now I know decking is useless for observing due to the stability of the scope, but is there any way I could stabilize the decking so that the scope won't wobble so much when observing?

I'm thinking of concrete slabs but would it make a difference due to what's underneath?

Bungielad.

Its difficult to visual what you are describing....

Having said that the inherent lack of stability I guess you are referring too is how 'springy' a suspended deck is. My gut feel is that slabs would maybe dampen this but you would have to make sure you don't overload the decking. I'm guessing it's not feasible to strip back and strengthen?

It is a very strange set up to be honest, if you could imagine a house who's front room and kitchen are not on ground level and you have to walk down stairs to your front room kitchen and garden but, your main entrance is on ground level but is suspended up by iron gerders and has decking , hopefully you can see what I'm on about?

There is absolutely no worry of over loading the decking with slabs at all but I'm just wanting to know if it would make the wobble stop?

Bungielad.

That is a lovely set up Laurie but unfortunately I'm only renting and don't think I'd be given permission for such a structure, I do know that I'd have the rights to put down slabs as long as if I leave I could move them!

I really just want to know if laying something on top of the decking would stop or decrease the wobble?

I would be keeping my EQ2 mount and know it's not the sturdiest mount in the world but even when I upgrade to the EQ5 with 200p I will want a sturdy floor to observe from........would stabbing make a difference?

Bungielad.

Hi

It would Dampen the wobble slightly, (not much though). As soon as you walked, or made a movement, the slabs would bounce, as the base is more flexible that the top.(unless the slabs were very heavy) But i would not recommend placing something heavy on top of a decking structure. It's like placing a car on top of a trampoline. The other down side is that, the wooden boards would not be able to breathe when damp, thus.... they rot.

Best thing you can do is try it !    Other than than that, an alternative site seems the only option i'm afraid. Have you asked a neighbour if you could use their garden one night? Never know...They might take an interest in astronomy themselves. 

Sorry I cant be of more help  :sad:

I really just want to know if laying something on top of the decking would stop or decrease the wobble?

Realistically, no.

Wood is a very flexible, springy material (just look at trees in the wind). You might get away with it if you get some anti-vibration pads for the tripod, go around on tip-toe and can persuade the other occupants to enter and leave via a suitable window :grin:  instead of the front door. But ultimately any person-sized mass will cause movement in the deck and that will cause vibration in your telescope's view.

Hi when we erect decking ( hate the stuff my self) the support posts are 100x 100 mm posts set at 450mm centres with 100 x 50mm stringers to tie them together on which the deck boards are screwed some jobs we use 40 mm thick boards. They don't bounce at all!

You could strip the deck and screw more supports under the boards to decrease the spacing at which the boards are fixed or fix more supports under the deck.

If your going to use one spot only to observe from just strengthen that area.

Decking is horizontal fencing

Archived