sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Hi,

I have installed iOS 7 on my iPad. It takes about 30 minutes to accomplish.

I backed up my iPad to my PC before starting.

The new system takes 3.3gb storage to install, but you appear to get the bulk of it back.

I deleted off a load of unwanted books and some apps I never use.

The new version is more modern looking, there has been changes to Safari, Calendar, and the general look and feel of the system.

I have also updated a lot of my apps to be compatible with iOS 7.

I have not found any apps that don't work with the new software.

Cheers

Adrian

Yes. I've updated too. I just thought it was a regular update this morning when my iPad asked me. So I nonchalantly clicked OK. I didn't even think to back up. EEK! But it's all gone OK. I think!

I actually think the design is not as elegant as before. The app icons are a bit too garish, with overly bright spectral colours. It looks a bit childish to my eye, but I'll get used to it I suppose.

I've spent about an hour today on and off having to search the web for how to do things because they have changed so much. I don't think it is quite as intuitive Fas it was either.

Take the search a web page for a term or phrase. You now do it in the search bar at the top, but you have to scroll down to tap the "on this page" button.

So, a bit of a thumbs down from me.

Edited by Ouroboros

Hi,

I was an App called Saturn Moons, it used to work fine on the previous iOS 6, but there is now a problem with the moons detail page..... It's Blank..... The moon orbits still work.

I have emailed S&T about it, awaiting their answer.

I am also interested in another App they have called Jupiter's Moons, I am waiting to install because it might not be compatible with iOS 7.

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Condon

Well, I may be a dissenting voice, but think the new look is great! Everything works fine for me on both iPhone and iPad.

Edited by lukebl

I tend NOT to update os's. if I buy a xp laptop, I'll use an xp laptop til it dies, then I'll get whatever is the current os with my new machine. so when my Ipad dies, I'll get a new one with ios-7/8/9 or whatever it is at the time. I did it once with w95 and wished I'd kept 3.1 so I don't bother anymore.....better the devil you know, maybe :D

C'mon everyone. Embrace change if it's a improvement! And if anyone says Android is better than iOS? Well, we live in a free world, but they are wrong. iOS7 is great.

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 1

I tend NOT to update os's. if I buy a xp laptop, I'll use an xp laptop til it dies, then I'll get whatever is the current os with my new machine. so when my Ipad dies, I'll get a new one with ios-7/8/9 or whatever it is at the time. I did it once with w95 and wished I'd kept 3.1 so I don't bother anymore.....better the devil you know, maybe :D

I kind of share your view, though we're forced into the operating system upgrade thing because of all the other software that gets rolled out and lack of backwards compatibility.

• Like 1

Upgraded my iphone 5 to ios 7. Phone does strange things. The other day the BBC news app sprang into life even though it wasn't running. Notifications are switched off !

Ass for apps not working it's the same for any operating system change if the app or software is not written properly it won't be 100% compatable.

Sometimes a reboot is needed.

Just thought I'd give it a shot

Those designers have been playing with their Lego toys again!

For the first time I've had to seek out the accessibility functions the choice of fonts & colours is shockingant see a thing anymore grrrrrr C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't like it much... 

The design is awful: I use my photos as background an wallpaper and with this new design, I can't find any that look good (and I have over a 1000 photos!).  I have resorted to using one of the built in ones because they look better.  

The new icons look hideous compared to the old ones, although I do like the functionality of having a proper FaceTime icon on my iPhone now

Also, I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. Both are on their last legs and are not coping well with the upgrade.  The batteries just can't handle it.  So far, I've had to charge at least twice a day, whereas before, with my iPad, I could get one full day out it and maybe a couple with my phone. 

I am getting the new iPhone 5s (but have to wait a month for delivery! - Apple are so naughty for not providing adequate supplies!) and will be buying the new iPad once it has been released.  Hopefully, the new longer life batteries in the new devices will work better with iOS7.  

NB: Just in case anyone else is experiencing battery problems with the update, there are a number of features that can be switched off to help preserve battery life: http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09/22/ios7-battery-tips/ 

I have done this, but I think that because my gadgets are so old now, it hasn't made that much difference!

Hi Rae,

I changed my background from my Black Lab to a NASA photo of M81.

The difference is fab..... especially the Apple icons. The colours blend beautifully.

Secondly, the new Safari web browser is not as good as the previous one ( maybe I need to re-learn ) I cannot find the Reader

facility which I used a lot in portrait mode. There is text mode but is not as good.

Yahoo appears to be the default Search Engine and not Google.

I have being upgrading loads of Apps over the last week.

I have upgraded Safari Pro, Luminos, Gas Giants (twice... Now works),

I am having problems with S&T Saturn Moons..... awaiting fix.

I have not tested all the upgrades, but what I have seen so far looks good.

I have loaded an App called Compass. Awaiting a clear night to try it out with my dob to see how accurate it is in pointing the scope.

I have worked in IT for 45 years and have led many upgrades on mainframes and pcs, plus home Apple machines. My experience

is that upgrades are child's play now as opposed to the 1960's and 70's. Apple upgrades were really easy and usually error free.

Microsoft have improved dramatically over the years. Yes, XP was very good, well bedded in and we used very successfully.

Microsoft 95 was not a success, we worked that out after discussions with Microsoft.

The next upgrade was to Windows 7. That runs well and supported 95% of the device drivers.

I like the way Apple are doing the upgrades.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I've checked and the search engine in Safari is still google... I know it looks different, but it's definitely showing me google results. You can choose to change this (although I have no earthly idea how) - are you sure you haven't changed it by accident?

Has anyone tried resizing one of their own photo's to use as the wall paper? Useless - Doesn't work

A workaround seems to be to turn ON reduce motion in Accessibility in General Settings. Why this should work I've no idea, but it worked for me. Maybe it's a bug.

Edited by Ouroboros

A workaround seems to be to turn ON reduce motion in Accessibility in General Settings. Why this should work I've no idea, but it worked for me. Maybe it's a bug.

Thanks for that, very useful. Also you can get rid of the newsstand and hide it in a folder.