8mm or 10mm Delos?

TwoPi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, best on the market, green and sparkly with enormous suction due to the huge FOV, but they do tend to be a bit on the heavy side.  :p

Sorry the carpet would stay dirty for me and I would buy the 8mm as I said before.

Just a thought, I don't have any carpets but have 3 vacuums, seems odd.

Alan

I only bought the 1 vacuum and it didn't come anywhere near the price of a delos, what kind of vacuums do you you buy?!  :eek:

But yes, definitely the 8 as I said earlier too.

Cheers

Very funny replies on the vacuum front and I was at least trying to help the thread back to the OP subject, even John couldn't help having a joke. I really don't know how we ended up with 3, it's my wife she like to hover the tiles and floorboards, then mop them. The one really big difference about these hotter Countries, few or no carpets.

Anyone remeber the Monty Python piece Mr Arthur Two sheds Jackson, the man that had two garden sheds, maybe I could be Alan 3 vacuums Potts, but I am not thinking about a 4th, but we have just bought a new bag for one of them.

Going back to the 8mm Delos, I can see myself getting one of these. It is funny I read somewhere spend the most money on the eyepiece giving lowest magnification and the least on you high magnification. This was some time ago and now I am well into the hobby, I am not at all sure I can agree with that statement. I really believe quality shines through when you are using these boys toys for planets and judging by the collections on the forum I see a good few agree.

Alan.

Hoover quality shines through, coming from experience here I would say good hoover is worth having :D. I remember upgrading mine to one of the more powerful ones, wow, on the carpet it sucks up those dust bunnies like there is no tomorrow, and since having acquired a cat, they do like to leave their hairs everywhere. Anyway, compared my first cheap Argos ones of many years ago, it took ages to hoover anything.  A decent  Dyson is to Delos as a super MA is to a cheap Hoover, with that in mind, buy the Delos if you can afford it :0)

It is funny I read somewhere spend the most money on the eyepiece giving lowest magnification and the least on you high magnification. This was some time ago and now I am well into the hobby, I am not at all sure I can agree with that statement. I really believe quality shines through when you are using these boys toys for planets and judging by the collections on the forum I see a good few agree.

Alan.

I don't agree with it either, because I'd have to say spend the most (you can afford :p ) on all the EPs that you buy, but whilst paying some regard to the regularity of their use. I know some will argue that if a high power EP is used least because of variable conditions it need to be excellent to take advantage of the once in a blue moon opportunity. However, on a budget, I can't leave a hefty wad of dosh sat on the mantelpiece I'm afraid. I try not to buy duff EPs and would rather buy a reasonable high power EP and spend a little more on one that I know will get used more often.

just as a matter of interest was it one of these

An unfortunate place to site the hose!

Back on topic, still the 8mm, it's for a 200p skyliner and to replace the SW 10mm, it'll be a very sweet planetary EP, but you might struggle to get some clusters in it and I find my 9.7mm a bit strong for DSOs (but that's purely personal preference as I wouldn't chose the 10mm for that either in this 'scope).

Cheers

It  would be nice if the OP gets the 8mm Delos or what ever, for him to express his opinion of the quality between the manufacturers 10mm eyepiece and the new one. It is something I have wanted to do a few times, but when I got  what I believe are the same eyepieces with the 180mm Mac ( 10mm & 25mm), I asked for them to be given to someone starting out in the hobby and forgot the side-by side test. 

Alan

It might be amusing, but I would expect the Delos to blow it out of the water!  :grin:

I'm going to do the same with my SW MA 10mm, Meade 4000 Super Plossl 9.7 and TV plossl 11mm. There's not quite the difference in price.

There was a noticeable difference between the 25mm FLs and at this price range, well worth the difference.

I suppose, those are the comparisons I'm most interested in, the ones that go from one price bracket to another. Duff to budget, budget to half decent, half decent to quality, quality to high end (there maybe a few more categories in between).

To be able to give people an idea of the worth of their upgrade would be useful.

Cheers

It might be amusing, but I would expect the Delos to blow it out of the water!  :grin:

I'm going to do the same with my SW MA 10mm, Meade 4000 Super Plossl 9.7 and TV plossl 11mm. There's not quite the difference in price.

There was a noticeable difference between the 25mm FLs and at this price range, well worth the difference.

I suppose, those are the comparisons I'm most interested in, the ones that go from one price bracket to another. Duff to budget, budget to half decent, half decent to quality, quality to high end (there maybe a few more categories in between).

To be able to give people an idea of the worth of their upgrade would be useful.

Cheers

Shanes recent comparison report makes some progress in this area I feel:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/166265-cheap-vs-expensive/

When I'm reviewing things I hesitate to give any advice on whether the differences in performance are worth the upgrade cost though. As we all know, as you pay more the differences get proportionately smaller until they become matters of personal preference as much as anything.

Personally I'm usually prepared to fork out for quite subtle improvements but others could well reach other conclusions and who could blame them for that ?  :smiley:

I also feel that the benefits of higher quality optics become more noticeable as your experience grows and you pursue more challenging targets. Thats probably the same in many hobbies though :rolleyes2:  

I also feel that the benefits of higher quality optics become more noticeable as your experience grows and you pursue more challenging targets. Thats probably the same in many hobbies though :rolleyes2:  

Couldn't agree more with it.

Take Alan's work of finding central star in ring nebular or splitting Antare's double as an example, it's a result of years of observing experience and days after days work on the same subjects, no EP can replace these experiences. Put it in another way, with the same scope and EPs as Alan used, under the same sky, I'm sure I'll not be able to see the central star or splitting the double.

Sorry for off the OP's topic.

Shanes recent comparison report makes some progress in this area I feel:

When I'm reviewing things I hesitate to give any advice on whether the differences in performance are worth the upgrade cost though. As we all know, as you pay more the differences get proportionately smaller until they become matters of personal preference as much as anything.

Personally I'm usually prepared to fork out for quite subtle improvements but others could well reach other conclusions and who could blame them for that ?  :smiley:

Yes, Shane's comparison did make progress in this area! And I tried to add my views on the 25mm FL EPs I have in the SW Skyliner 200p. In my case, the upgrades definitely make sense.

I'm hoping to add the same for the 10mm FL EPs I have in what is a very popular 'scope.

Of course someone of your experience should give advice on whether performance differences are worth the upgrade cost, or there'd be no point anyone asking advice! It's where the, "Buy the best you can afford." statement is most helpful and relevant. We want to know, given a certain budget, what's the best EP we can afford.

With regards to high quality optics, it's the experience part that's most important, not the equipment and that is the same for many hobbies.

Cheers

With regards to high quality optics, it's the experience part that's most important, not the equipment and that is the same for many hobbies.

Cheers

True. I've seen some fantastic observing reports on here from experienced observers that use quite modest equipment  :smiley:

Just a bit of a follow up on that. I have seen most of the Sky at Nights and have the last 10 years on the the computer, I don't ever remember seeing a Televue, Nikon, or  Pentax eyepieces in any of Sir Patrick Moors telescopes and I think he was a pretty good observer.

I think it takes time to learn to see properly and I am in no way saying I can do this. Take Venus, I look at it time after time and there is not a great deal to see but lately I am sure I am seeing shading on the disc sometimes.

Sorry for again going away from topic.

Alan.

Just a bit of a follow up on that. I have seen most of the Sky at Nights and have the last 10 years on the the computer, I don't ever remember seeing a Televue, Nikon, or  Pentax eyepieces in any of Sir Patrick Moors telescopes and I think he was a pretty good observer.

I think it takes time to learn to see properly and I am in no way saying I can do this. Take Venus, I look at it time after time and there is not a great deal to see but lately I am sure I am seeing shading on the disc sometimes.

Sorry for again going away from topic.

Alan.

I guess it also depends on the aims of the observer and what you want to get out of it,  and in turn how much the observer is wiling to invest to obtain that experience. In a given scope and a different eyepiece that extra bit of contrast cold mean detecting that fuzzy or not, a high end eyepiece could even mean splitting that double or not.  Even at the lower end in my case I did one comparison exercise with my SW 25mm MA versus the BST Explorer 25mm, M81/M82, whist not at the detection limit  in my scope by any means,  the difference is really quite noticeable, it just pops out more due to improved contrast. 

Adding to  what John said, I am not sure I'd be one to go as far as pay for a huge amount of FOV when a smaller FOV can be got at much lower price with good views,  but that is easy to say now in my 650mm focal length scope when I get over 2 degrees anyway. When I pop the same lower power eyepiece a scope with twice that focal length I may well change my tune a bit. I like a FOV of around 2.0 degrees or getting close to that with at least one eyepiece combo.  It is one thing I can say I've had quite a bit of experience with  and use often, it is a thing nice to have.  For higher powers/magnifications I don't think the large FOV is something that would be at the forefront of my list, sure enough, a nice luxury, but for me that would be a luxury  :smiley:

It  would be nice if the OP gets the 8mm Delos or what ever, for him to express his opinion of the quality between the manufacturers 10mm eyepiece and the new one. It is something I have wanted to do a few times, but when I got  what I believe are the same eyepieces with the 180mm Mac ( 10mm & 25mm), I asked for them to be given to someone starting out in the hobby and forgot the side-by side test. 

Alan

Happy to! Should be ordering it in the next couple of weeks so will post a comparison with the SkyWatcher 10mm super plossl when it arrives.

The main difference to me is when you have been using TV for quite a while they become the norm, it isn't until you try your original eyepieces that you realise the differences and in my opinion the differences are stark :smiley:

My brother has some of my old eyepieces and a couple of Hyperons, I have loaned him mine on a couple of occasions and now he wants a set. I simply do not like using his current eyepieces because I have been spoilt :laugh:  

The main difference to me is when you have been using TV for quite a while they become the norm, it isn't until you try your original eyepieces that you realise the differences and in my opinion the differences are stark :smiley:

My brother has some of my old eyepieces and a couple of Hyperons, I have loaned him mine on a couple of occasions and now he wants a set. I simply do not like using his current eyepieces because I have been spoilt :laugh:  

I've been using Tele Vue eyepieces for years. For quite a time there was a significant gap between them and the next best but over the past few years the competition has strengthened significantly and now a number of brands have eyepieces that, though costing somewhat less, get very close indeed to the TV standard and, arguably, even beat it here and there.

I don't feel the differences between TV's and lower cost eyepieces are stark at all these days. I think Shane's recent report demonstrates that well:

I still really enjoy using my Tele Vue Nagler, Ethos, Radians and Pentax XW's but I'm realistic about the abilities of other brands offerings these days and they are really to be respected :smiley:

I think TV some owners can be accused of a little "elitism" in the past and I may well have been guilty of it myself at times :embarrassed: but I'm not going to perpetuate this today when there are such good alternative choices available which will deliver superb views at a relatively modest cost.

I disagree on this John,

The moon although very interesting it can take an awful lot of magnification thus would there be a stark difference for any test with eyepieces ? unless they were really poor quality, the Moon maybe a better target for reviewing scopes. :grin:

I have had limited time with a scope so I cannot compare with the older type eyepieces, so I will not comment on times gone by.

I have only one scope and its classed as fairly slow at f10 and the difference with other eyepieces I have used is pretty huge  :smiley:

Admittedly I have not tried any ES or Pentax but I have tried a few hyperons and there is a clear difference to me (I don't think any of these examples are cheap)

I'm sorry, but you're not comparing onions with onions.

At 2.5x the price, if the Delos didn't out perform the Hyperion I'd be seriously concerned!

I'm not sure why you're having a pop at the Moon (Both my TV and Meade Plossls out performed the SW MA on the moon the other night :p )

I just think that TV aren't the be all and end all.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) my glass is always well and truly half full and I'm just delighted at the awesome sights I am able to see from my back garden with the modest equipment I am able to afford.

I'm sure the OP will be delighted with the 8mm Delos, I'm considering the 8mm BST explorer for Xmas which will be more than adequate for my 'scope and needs.

Cheers

Many good remarks here. Bigger aperture is going to show more than improving the EPs, and observing skills are more important than good glass. I know for a fact that I can spot things through my scope that inexperienced observers would struggle to see. Having said that, if you can afford a Delos (8mm or 10mm, with a preference for the 8mm) you will not go wrong. Once you get it (and attendant clouds have cleared ;)) spend time at the eyepiece, and try to tease out all the detail you can get. This requires being comfortable behind the EP, which is a very personal thing. The long eye relief (20mm) of the Delos 8mm makes it a better choice in my book than the ES 8.8 and 11mm EPs (at 14mm eye relief very usable to most), but others may differ. If you want a cheaper alternative to the Delos, with long eye relief, good sharpness but smaller FOV, the Vixen NLVs spring to mind. The Pentax XF8.5 is very good value for money. Very close to the Delos 8 in performance so far in my experience, and much cheaper.

BTW, Tele Vue has always been good at hoovering out money from your bank account.

Archived