8mm or 10mm Delos?

TwoPi

Fair point chaps but to be honest I want to see what the fuss is about, plus I've already been through a bit of a buy, decide I'm not satisfied and then upgrade cycle with the Baader Hyperion so I figure where I can, I may as well get eyepieces that are going to last me for life (e.g. when aperture fever takes hold!).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...to be honest I want to see what the fuss is about...

I've got the lone 10mm and the only thing stopping me from going want-crazy is to persuade myself that the set of high-mag BGOs I've got are more-or-less optically on par with the Delos. Reality denied is often a blissful state to be in :grin:

...to be honest I want to see what the fuss is about...

I've got the lone 10mm and the only thing stopping me from going want-crazy is to persuade myself that the set of high-mag BGOs I've got are more-or-less optically on par with the Delos. Reality denied is often a blissful state to be in :grin:

I use a similar line of thought to deny myself the opportunity / cash to spend on some Astro Hutech orthos.. after all, the Nagler Zoom will perform more-or-less optically on par, won't it? That line of reasoning can only hold on so long :evil:

I use a similar line of thought to deny myself the opportunity / cash to spend on some Astro Hutech orthos.. after all, the Nagler Zoom will perform more-or-less optically on par, won't it? That line of reasoning can only hold on so long :evil:

The Nagler zoom is really, really good but I thought the Baader GO's were slightly better. Certainly a little less light scatter around bright objects. I'm being rather picky but then we are when discussing the differences between high quality eyepieces :smiley: 

The Nagler zoom has that longer eye relief, larger eye lens and much more flexibility of course but I'm talking about outright optical performance and being very critical. I reckon the XW's more or less match the Baader GO from the comparisons I've done so the Delos is likely to be in the same league.

YMMV of course  :smiley:

The Nagler zoom is really, really good but I thought the Baader GO's were slightly better. Certainly a little less light scatter around bright objects. I'm being rather picky but then we are when discussing the differences between high quality eyepieces :smiley:

The Nagler zoom has that longer eye relief, larger eye lens and much more flexibility of course but I'm talking about outright optical performance and being very critical. I reckon the XW's more or less match the Baader GO from the comparisons I've done so the Delos is likely to be in the same league.

YMMV of course  :smiley:

You see, it's this kind of experience that leads one to buy orthos, as well as other eyepieces...I'm not blaming you, John, it's just these small performance gains are what quite a few of us strive towards!

Fair point chaps but to be honest I want to see what the fuss is about, plus I've already been through a bit of a buy, decide I'm not satisfied and then upgrade cycle with the Baader Hyperion so I figure where I can, I may as well get eyepieces that are going to last me for life (e.g. when aperture fever takes hold!).

For that reason now I am of the standing I am going to let aperture fever strike first, it has already taken hold  :D buy the bigger scope  sooner than later, that way I'll invest in the couple of  2 inch whoppers for widefield view when I have a scope in which I can use them. After all, I strongly believe that when I have a 130 aperture scope now, and with my main interest in DSO viewing, there is more bang for buck to be got in upgrading to 250 aperture sooner than later, instead of buying a 1.25 inch eyepiece for the Heritage now that costs half that, aperture rules for DSOs is my religion, at least to a point.  :)

The price of the 250 sky-liner scope would probably buy me perhaps only two of the eyepieces I'd probably plan to get for longer term, and I want to try an do it with the minimum of buying selling, buying upgrading etc. famous last words :D

For that reason now I am of the standing I am going to let aperture fever strike first, it has already taken hold  :D buy the bigger scope  sooner than later, that way I'll invest in the couple of  2 inch whoppers for widefield view when I have a scope in which I can use them. After all, I strongly believe that when I have a 130 aperture scope now, and with my main interest in DSO viewing, there is more bang for buck to be got in upgrading to 250 aperture sooner than later, instead of buying a 1.25 inch eyepiece for the Heritage now that costs half that, aperture rules for DSOs is my religion, at least to a point.  :)

The price of the 250 sky-liner scope would probably buy me perhaps only two of the eyepieces I'd probably plan to get for longer term, and I want to try an do it with the minimum of buying selling, buying upgrading etc. famous last words :D

Sound reasoning I think. Great quality eyepieces will show things a bit more nicely than lesser ones but a larger scope can actually show you new things   :smiley:

Buying the best eyepieces be it TV, ES, Pentax etc...actually saves money as you cant keep upgrading every other month  :smiley:

Two further reasons to buy are:

a)They will perform exceptionally well in most scopes so you don't have to consider changing eyepieces when you buy a different or additional scopes.

b)There is a fairly healthy resale value should you need to sell them.

Just to add weight to Shauns statement, I have now gone 5 months without buying an eyepiece to replace a focal length that I already have. I did however buy a 3.5mm Delos but that didn't replace anything it was a new F/L for me.

I started out  again back in 2006/7 with a set of Meade S5000 S, Plossls, sold them lost money. Then bought a full set of Meade S5k SWA and  most of the UWA range, sold most of them and lost a lot of money, over a thousand in total.

Some folks never learn. I have sold a few Televues that I upgraded so to speak and lost only a little, around 50 quid.  I wish I had caught Televue Tummy at the start, it's the best illness I have ever had.

Alan

Just to add weight to Shauns statement, I have now gone 5 months without buying an eyepiece to replace a focal length that I already have.

This is beginning to sound like an AA meeting, or should I say an OA meeting? Ocularholics Anonymous :D.

But with the situation that AlexB67 is in above (and many others I suspect) I think it would be crazy to recommend that he spends say £1K or more on eyepieces rather than pursue his ambition to upgrade to a significantly more capable scope.

I love Tele Vue eyepieces, goodness knows, I've posted enough about them over the years, but I'll readily concede that equal performance is available for a heck of a lot less £'s if you are prepared / able to compromise on the field of view and eye relief. For those of us who have invested heavily in premium brands thats not always an easy thing to swallow, but I believe it's true from my personal experience.

But with the situation that AlexB67 is in above (and many others I suspect) I think it would be crazy to recommend that he spends say £1K or more on eyepieces rather than pursue his ambition to upgrade to a significantly more capable scope.

I love Tele Vue eyepieces, goodness knows, I've posted enough about them over the years, but I'll readily concede that equal performance is available for a heck of a lot less £'s if you are prepared / able to compromise on the field of view and eye relief. For those of use who have invested heavily in premium brands thats not always an easy thing to swallow, but I believe it's true from my personal experience.

Agreed John, I seem to remember being recommended a new scope before upgrading my eyepieces, now I have both. Of course, I have yet to get any wide fields, so we shall see :). Oh, and I wouldn't trust the focuser on the Heritage with anything heavier than the Nagler Zoom - which includes the Delos.

If Pig had just added "you can afford" after "buying the best eyepieces..." I'd have been with you all the way!  :grin:

Honestly, you don't need to justify wanting and owning the best there is, some of us just have to "make do" with what we can afford.

As AlexB67 and John have said, reasonably decent EPs aside, my next big purchase will be a larger 'scope when I retire.  :grin:  :p

Cheers

Sound reasoning I think. Great quality eyepieces will show things a bit more nicely than lesser ones but a larger scope can actually show you new things   :smiley:

Nail on the  head  :smiley:  Also, for me anyway, I feel I am ready and can handle such an instrument now , I know the reasons why I am getting it. To be honest, very early on I had that view already and still of that opinion now as to an upgrade path that felt sensible for me ( given my current scope ). Day one before I started all this, I would not have been wiling to make that step, I didn't have the cash around but did not want to wait and put aside 400 - 500 on a scope without knowing if I'd like it enough.  After all you never know, would I enjoy all this stuff as much as I do now, well I do, but unfortunately I am not a fortune teller. 

I suppose I could have done with going to a club but suddenly I got the ache and wanted one ( as did the missus ), and to be honest I have loved every minute of this journey of self discovery in a way, doing it by myself instead of going to a club, look through a few  scopes and wondered what next. Certainly buying my current scope came with a lot of research and reading this forum before I ever registered   :)

In the end of the day for a few BSTs and a heritage 130p  I learned a lot from that, it is a great intro package and a lovely little scope I can highly recommend, especially given the nice wide angle views and a fair amount of aperture at a cheap price.  Not that I am at the end of what can be seen or achieved with that package by any means, but as a famous man once said when declaring war, "Let's take it to the next stage" :0) In doing so  I'll try to be as efficient as I can whilst maximising what I can get for the money early on.   A Delos or big TV would not be a right fit for me right now personally, but later yes, in the bigger scope. To start with the BST will do me apart from adding at least one wide angle 2 inch eyepiece as early as I can, but at that stage it would be worth saving for and a get a good one as a first additional item for the bigger scope.

Put it another way, if someone asked me what would I'd like to see through at a star party, a £ 250 pounds eyepiece attached to a 130 aperture scope as I have now, or a BST explorer attached to a 10 inch Dob,  I guess it depends on what you are looking at, but anyway .. I think I know what I'd pick to have a play with now :).

Sorry, sometimes I am probably  the worst person to derail topics as well :p , but it is just interesting discussion, whatever it is in a thread, that's nice about this forum, to let that happen. After all, it is not about organising data, it may as well be a boring database if that were the case and not what forums are about IMHO, just to have chat, whilst of course at the same time being constructive and helpful to users, even if a tangent may form at times :smiley:

Indeed, but you forgot to say.....

8 or 10? Come on, be helpful!

I am not qualified enough to say :undecided: Hazard a guess, don't think the difference would be that critical, sometimes one may say 8mm is better, other times the 10mm.  With improved contrast it should perform better I would think compared to the stock 10mm, I'd be inclined to go with the 8mm for clusters. I had a similar decision to make when replacing my stock 10mm and went for a 8mm BST, I thought it was a good choice given the slight increase of FOV at 60 versus the 52 degrees of the stock 10mm, there again, sometimes I look at an open cluster  and think hmmmm would the 12mm BST not be a nice addition :D but the eyepieces discussed here are in a different league anyway, and as I say I don't have the experience of  using them.

If Pig had just added "you can afford" after "buying the best eyepieces..." I'd have been with you all the way!  :grin:

Honestly, you don't need to justify wanting and owning the best there is, some of us just have to "make do" with what we can afford.

As AlexB67 and John have said, reasonably decent EPs aside, my next big purchase will be a larger 'scope when I retire.  :grin:  :p

Chee

I have said in many other threads about affordability, I didn't in this for fear of repeating myself.

As long as you have your priorities right you should buy what you want :grin: Feeding and clothing the family are much more important than any hobby :grin:

Archived