Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Colour loss after DSS stacking

This is my attempt at the Ring nebula I used 16 x lights 5 x Darks & 5 x flats ISO 800 60 secs exposure.

After running the data through DSS the processed image lost nearly all of the colour I had captured in the original data, and no amount of amateur fumblings in PS could cure.  What I ended up doing was to convert the RAW images into TIFF and stacked them using Registax this, to my novice eyes seemed to be a much better result. Can anyone throw any light on this? (excuse the pun)

Image one (DSS + PS)

ring2

Image two & Three (Registax)

Ring Nebula 2

Ring Nebula 1

DSS always gives a low saturation result, but it is not a problem. If you want to have a quick look, increase the saturation slider by +15% or so. Remember, DSS isn't an image editor. The tools are there just to give you a preview of the data you have. Make sure to save with the option to 'embed adjustments but do not apply them', rather than apply adjustments to saved imaged.

You should ideally do your processing in a proper image editor, where you can brighten with curves, lift the saturation, sort any noise etc. much better than with DSS. If you save with adjustments applied, you are left to start with the image as you see it, rather than the entire data set. It might seem to be a short cut but you can generally get a much better result, starting from scratch with the full data set.

I think there is plenty of colour in your Registax image, so it will be there in the DSS stacked image as well (if you save with the right option) and probably more star colour as well, you just need to work out how to extract it from your data.

Works for me :)

Make sure you always work on a copy, not your original file. That way if you stuff up, you can always start over :D

Post up when you have finished. I have always struggled with the ring. It's a bit small for the focal lengths I have available.

Image one is the unspoilt data, Image two after photoshop and three the same image cropped and zoomed. Much better than my first efforts with a bit more experimentation (and knowledge) I think I could do better. Although  I still like the Registax image! ahhh ignorance is bliss.

Ring1OR

Ring1PS

Ring1PSZmCrp

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Rik.

Is this with the C8?

I think the ring is a tough target.  It really seems to need a lot of focal length, a lot of aperture and a lot of time.  I'd try to push the exposures as long as you can, though it's tough without guiding.

James

Archived