Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

ChrisG3484

Dark sites near Exeter

Do any of the Forestry Commission car parks up on Haldon still exist, or they all MTB tracks now?

Hmm not sure, will have a look on the forestry commission website. Might be good to use something like googlemaps and mark them all on....

there are several car parks on haldon try near bird of prey lookout or try nearer teignmouth there is a car park near golf club 

Hi Chris

Where abouts are you?  A quick drive in my direction and all is lovely (about 7 miles or so) PM and I will happily give you some locations

Cheers

Jamie

Chris, how about the Norman Lockyer Observatory at Sidmouth. Come along on a Friday night, we have regular meetings for chats and talks then outside for observation/imaging if it's clear.

Allan

I am planning a visit to NLO, the problem I have is not having a car, there is a mate that I can borrow lifts from as he is interested in doing star trail photos. 

I am kinda hoping to find someone to cadge lifts off to NLO.

:)

Actually out of interest, how do you guys transport scopes in a car without having to worry about the car knocking the alignment out ?

Wrap it in whatever you can - blanket, I use an old rectangular sleeping bag, then do the same as everyone: Worry about it knocking the collimation out. :eek: :eek: :eek:

You can always try Woodbury Common, There are some nice car parks off of the B3179 between the B3180 and Yettington, A very good one is where the model aero club fly ,that is at 50 40 08 N -3 21 47W

Graham

Chris, how about the Norman Lockyer Observatory at Sidmouth. Come along on a Friday night, we have regular meetings for chats and talks then outside for observation/imaging if it's clear.

Allan

How often do you meet up at the NLO? Is it every Friday or less than that?

My mother lives not far from it. I may visit you guys on my next visit to

Sidmouth/Sidford/Sidbury area.

Thank you in advance.

How often do you meet up at the NLO? Is it every Friday or less than that?

My mother lives not far from it. I may visit you guys on my next visit to

Sidmouth/Sidford/Sidbury area.

Thank you in advance.

its every friday

I could offer a lift to the NLO from Exeter. I go straight from work leaving about 4 - 4.30.

PM me if interested.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Managed to make it out to Haldon Forest last night, lovely skies but still couldn't find Andromeda I think that's down to lack of experience and conditions. However, as a warning Haldon Forest car parks are all chained off so you can't pull in anywhere. I found a random layby and setup there. 

hi ChrisG3484 why don't you try the road out through crediton loads of lanes out that way and is mega dark!

Hello Chris G3484,

I was browsing through SGL and saw your initial question regarding sights near Exeter. Have you found a good enough site yet?