UK equivalent to "Windex" ???

kirkster501

Its amazing how resilient some optical coatings can be. I have an old meade sct which had corrector plate coatings which had degraded and were partially missing. I decided to remove them altogether and tried various home glass cleaners, even leaving standing liquid on the plate for 15min. This did not work so tried bleach, still no go. I then rememberd reading somebody had used telescope optical cleaner and found a small bottle I had bought years earlier for cleaning camera lenses, it removed the coatings a treat. :eek:  :smiley:    

Its amazing how resilient some optical coatings can be. I have an old meade sct which had corrector plate coatings which had degraded and were partially missing. I decided to remove them altogether and tried various home glass cleaners, even leaving standing liquid on the plate for 15min. This did not work so tried bleach, still no go. I then rememberd reading somebody had used telescope optical cleaner and found a small bottle I had bought years earlier for cleaning camera lenses, it removed the coatings a treat. :eek:  :smiley:    

that's a bit scary

that's a bit scary

Yes, that's what I thought. Made me think about using 'Proper' cleaning fluid on optics in the future. Unfortunately the cleaner I used came in a pack with blow brush and cloth, the packaging is long gone and there's no label on the bottle describing contents.   

I do wonder if people are a bit paranoid about what they clean their lenses with.

Glass is pretty hard stuff, short of using etching fluid or a harsh abraisive on it it's pretty hard to scratch.

I'd hate to think that the manufacturers of high end optics would be foolish enough to coat their lenses in something that dissolves when it comes into contact with lens cleaner.

I'm not suggesting we should all use Brillo pads but a bit of alcohol degreaser surely won't do any harm?  If it did then I'd be straight onto the manufacturer asking why they neglected to mention this.

I use this stuff:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/balvenie/balvenie-doublewood-17-year-old-whisky/

At a smidge over £93 per litre it's nearly 7% cheaper than Baader Wonder Fluid and it also tastes considerably better.

hic!...excoooshe me!, hic! ...ish that before, ...hic! or after the clean? ...hic!  :happy7:   

Archived