Narrowband

Hi from a newbie in Burton

Ness

Hi,

I've been around for a while reading post after post on the various forums. I've already learnt so much but I thought it was about time I came out of the shadows and said hi :-) I'm a keen photographer and am now having more opportunity to follow through with my love of the sky and everything 'out there'. I'm part way through 'Making Every Photon Count' and I'm sure to be back with a host of questions when I'm done!

Thanks, Ness

Hi, Ness, and a warm welcome to SGL! Reading that book may well save you a lot of time and effort - and probably save you a fair bit of money by guiding you to make better choices on equipment if you decide to take up astrophotography. Steve Richards is a member of this forum ("Steppenwolf") so you are in the right place to ask questions!

Martin

Thanks for the welcome messages:-)

Stargazer51N - It depends where you are. I'm not sure how much is too much, but I think it's probably

moderate to low where we are. There is one annoying street light not too far away, but we're at the top of a hill, so the rest of the lights are in the distance and mostly well below the horizon. I certainly can't see my camera settings and have to do it all by feel so I hope that's a good sign!

HIP3802 - Excellent! It was from everyone's recommendations on here that I bought the book. It's fantastic so far :-) It's certainly quashed my naive hope that AP wouldn't be too different to 'normal' photography! It hasn't put me off as I already enjoy taking pics of the moon etc with my dslr, but it has made me realise I need to learn a lot more before spending my cold hard cash!

Ness

Hi Ness , there is a meeting each month at Roliston forestry centre, Roliston astronomy club, there is also a couple of us in Swadlincote just over the trent, if you need any more info either PM me or go to the next meeting 27th September.

Thanks for the heads up on all the astronomy groups near me. The only one's I'd found were Derby and District and Ilkeston. Roliston is probably closer to me, and nice to know there are some people in Swad. It's only a stones throw from me :-)

LeeB - what time do the meetings start? Not sure if I'd be back from work in time, but would be good to get to a local meeting.

Damnut - thanks for the tip. Belper is a beautiful part of the world. I'm in the process of joining the East Mids Stargazers as well :-)

Archived