Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oort Cloud

pippolotta

Hi Philip, I hope this one works better:

mashable.com/2013/09/14/nasa-voyager-1-reddit-ama?utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Mashable+(Mashable)&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner

Otherwise please check: mashable.com

Regards

19,2 au (from Earth)

Slight oddity of the Oort Cloud is they have not actually observed it. The Oort cloud is a hypothesis put up to account for instabilities and changes to the orbits of comets. Idea being a comet swings by the sun, heads out, gets a small gravitational effect from bodies in this cloud and returns on a slightly changed path.

Agreed we have determined the presence of planets in our solar system by gravitational influences but considering we can "see" dust clouds round other stars that are forming planets but we have not yet seen/observed the Oort cloud round our own sun.

The other slightly odd aspect of the Oort cloud is that the theory didn't come from Oort, it was postulated by Opik (MP+Cheeky girls). Oort revived the ised and his name got attached.

Sorry guys, it was a little bit late last night for me (I'm Spain-based :-). Her's the correct link, with nice graphics: 

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA17046

And though Oort's Cloud may not exist, VOYAGER I does.... enjoy :-D

I though this comment from that link was interesting- "Much of interstellar space is actually inside our own solar system"  :rolleyes:

Sound's like somebody is staking a claim :smiley:  

Archived