SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Turn Left at Orion....

Caz

....I've finally bought a copy, couldn't wait for the library to get it on their shelves..... Got it at an excellent price to, hardback, 10 squid, I'm well chuffed. I haven't delved into it yet I'm too tired, has anyoneelse got a copy, and what do you think?

Happy New year.... :clouds2:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This book sound like it may be very useful to me coz i just started gazing and i 'avent got a clue except what i read in the sunday papers.

I've been looking up maps and charts furiously on the internet.

I saw something 3 nights ago (when the clouds were away) and it looked like some spectacular cluster, then I lost it while changing eyepiece - never found it again and couldnt decide from all my maps what in God's name it could have been.

Will being literate help me?

I left my copy of "Nightwatch" out in the rain one night. It's not good for the book. Be careful with it. Don't like the idea of scanning the pages, though, although I did make a Xerox copyof the moon map in Sky at Night a few months ago. The unfolded chart was just too big to handle.

Theres no pictures of the real thing for example, so unless your familiar with Messiers etc You have no idea what to expect through your scope visually, hope I'm making sense??

It just so happens I have the Messier catalog with photos on my website. They're all professional pics, but they are all done to scale. It's meant to illustrate what you'd see, at least size-wise, in an 8" telescope.

Look under "Sir Charles Messier's catalog".

If you google Messier catalog, you will get a couple of sites in there that have photographs of the Messier objects in tabular form. Very handy. I don't have the book mark on this computer though... It is a good idea to look at a picture when you are going looking for things, especially open clusters.

Caz - if you look under people's Avatars, you will see some little icons, one for sending PM's, one for Profile and those that have it set, web site addresses (little world looking thing) :lol:

Having read the book in a lot more detail, I do agree that the x-factor is missing, BUT given what the book is trying to achieve I think it's excellent.

The authors have deliberately NOT included the fancy images because that is not what you see at the eyepiece. Personally, I think this puts a lot of people off when they look for themselves and realise that the little fuzzy patch is all they are likely to see and not the glorious red and green filaments of nebula in the picture.

Secondly, they state that they don't see imaging as astronomy. They are trying to encourage you to learn the sky, and how to find a particular list of objects. Now, whether this is right or wrong really doesn't matter. It's subjective.

Which is the next point that they make. It is subjective - it's their list. You may agree or disagree on the objects that have been included, but to my mind the book is doing it's job. If you can say "I don't think Object X should be in the list, Object Y should", then they have succeded in their task.

I think showing what you can see through the finderscope is an excellent idea. At least it's a real idea of what you will see - no misleading colour piccies here!!

JMHO of course :lol:

I think the illustrations show well what you are likely to see through the eyepiece.

Search any Astro forums beginners section for "M31" and you'll come up with a load of threads with people asking "M31. All I can see is a smudge, what am I doing wrong?" At least the book gives realistic examples of what to expect.

well my decision has been revised once more, i think for a relative begginner its probably going to do me good to read this book,i think a realistic picture in my minds eye will help me to identify more as i learn, thanks again for opening my eyes gaz, :)and yes caz is right, you put it in a very understandable way. :lol:

Archived