Narrowband

M57 spectrum

nytecam

This is a field shot of M57 from last week with the Rainbow Optics grating before the CCD. It shows three emission lines eg the dominant OIII+OIII+H-beta blend in the centre, the H-alpha to left [longer wavelength] and right of OIII a feeble line in UV that Torsten Hensen also records here @ 382nm [=Hansen]- presumably Balmer 10->2 ? The 4th image to the right is the real [zero order] image of M57.

I don't think I've recorded this far into near-UV before before on CCD and wonder if my change of CCD [sX_H9 mono cam] is responsible. M57 was near the zenith at the time so perhaps minimum atmospheric absorption comes into play.

Have you recorded this UV emission line and extracted its wavelength :police:

post-21003-0-33406300-1379025342_thumb.j

Love that view for spectra, far batter than looking at basic lines! How do you differentiate between the image (x,y) and the wavelength shifted image (x,y)? So if you pick a point in the image, how do you know only that part of the spectra for that specific (x,y) is sampled? Reason I ask is that it appears, with almost circular stars overlaid with the spectra image of the stars.

Love that view for spectra, far batter than looking at basic lines! How do you differentiate between the image (x,y) and the wavelength shifted image (x,y)? So if you pick a point in the image, how do you know only that part of the spectra for that specific (x,y) is sampled? Reason I ask is that it appears, with almost circular stars overlaid with the spectra image of the stars.

Nick - a transmission grating is partially transparent and records both the real [zero order] star and nebular images with their spectrum offset to one side - the separation defines their wavelength within the spectrum. Here I've ovelaid, as best I can, the spectrum of Altair with known lines mostly hydrogen Balmer lines for calibration. Ideally a slit is need for a difuse object. :police:

Nick - a transmission grating is partially transparent and records both the real [zero order] star and nebular images with their spectrum offset to one side - the separation defines their wavelength within the spectrum. Here I've ovelaid, as best I can, the spectrum of Altair with known lines mostly hydrogen Balmer lines for calibration. Ideally a slit is need for a difuse object. :police:

Here is M57 taken with a slit spectrograph (by Christian Buil using an Alpy 600 spectrograph) which I have found has very good performance into the UV (good grating efficiency and sharp focus.) I think the main feature you are seeing in the UV  is perhaps the N[iII] forbidden line at 

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/alpy600/data4/m57_3.png

from this page

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/alpy600/performances.htm

Cheers

Robin

Here is M57 taken with a slit spectrograph (by Christian Buil using an Alpy 600 spectrograph) which I have found has very good performance into the UV (good grating efficiency and sharp focus.) I think the main feature you are seeing in the UV  is perhaps the N[iII] forbidden line at 

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/alpy600/data4/m57_3.png

from this page

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/alpy600/performances.htm

Cheers Robin

Thanks Robin - N[iII] in violet it is for my third emission line ! 

I presume the Alpy600 is a grism arrangement?  Unusual for Christian he's named H-beta twice in his M57 spectrum ! :police:

Archived