Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

DeepThought

Voyager leaves solar system... Again

In a deep Arnie Sw voice... 'I won't be back....'

This will be our first interstellar astro-archeological artefact, amazing.

One day to return as V'ger and try to kill us all, if my memory serves me correct! :grin:

Shatner Save Us!

One day to return as V'ger and try to kill us all, if my memory serves me correct! :grin:

V'ger was Voyager 6, so we'll have to launch a few more! ;)

Maybe we're in a bigger version of the Truman Show and one day soon Voyager 1 will go splat against the studio wall.... :BangHead:

I think one of the reasons it's still going is because it's not running gigabytes of software. So much less to go wrong!

I remember watching the launch of Voyager (and most other probes of that era) on TV. I had stacks of NatGeo magazines devoted to their exploits. Still it carries on, and now it has left our solar system. A big thumbs up to all the people involved!

• Like 1

an amazing acheivement by all involved! what a history Voyager has already had simply inspiring journey, probably inspired a lot of today's astronomers.

i love Carl Sagan's thoughts on the Golden Record on Voyager, "as launching a message in a bottle into the cosmic ocean, it says something very hopeful about life on this planet".

i know it is only a machine, but the thought of it speeding through the lonely depths of interstellar space does leave feeling sad, rather strangely.

Really mind boggling isnt it, 36 years at that speed and still going.

I have somewhere in the loft the newspaper that had the headlines "neptune, look now or miss it for life" or something like that, it was a day or two after voyager passed neptune, 1989 i think. I shall have to find it and post a pic.

...don't leave Mr. SPOCK out, he'll save us all :-D

19,2 au (from Earth)