Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 6se - using your telescope in winter

Unless someone from Canada or the US comes along with experience I doubt a specific answer will be forth coming. Other then what the Celestron manual gives.

In general your temperatures drop somewhat lower the ours do. If you are around Vancouver then I don't think you will have a problem. The Pacific maintains a reasonable temperature. If however Alberta, Saskatoon, Winnipeg even Toronto then it gets a lot colder.

If you have a modern car, it will be stuffed with electronics. Many cars never see the inside of a garage, except when being serviced, so they get very cold indeed in the depths of winter, and yet perform without a problem. So I'd say your scope, similarly stuffed with electronics, and presumably designed for the cold clear nights of winter should be ok.

I'd get a separate rechargeable power pack, because many such scopes have problems when the relatively small internal batteries get cold. You almost certainly need a dew shield, a heated dew band would be good to stop the front corrector plate dewing up.

So wrap up warm, and enjoy winter astronomy :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Most electronics are rated to operate from 0 to 70 Celsius, but the lower end is a very conservative estimate, and most electronics work fine down to -40 C, or well below. I have had my scope out in freezing nights (granted, merely -15 to -17 C, and never had any problems). Batteries may be an issue, which is why I used to keep the small battery pack that came with the scope in my pocket as much as possible.

Have used Meades at -12c without any problem.

Suppose that means -15c should be trouble free.

Lower then that I suppose it depends on you, recall being in Hengelo, Holland, at -25c and breathing was a bit uncomfortable after a while.

Battry packs will be what suffers the most, so if at home use a mains converter.

Have had my 5SE down to a "balmy" minus 9 here in Norfolk. No problems with it working, though I run it from the mains. The design is a dew magnet, you will need a dew shield and heater. I leave mine in it's Lowe backpack to cool down in an outside cupboard before taking it to our observatory. At some of the temperatures you have, think it would be me quitting first. Minus 35, sheesh!

am looking forward to those cold, crisp still nights - enjoy!

Archived