Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sliding roof designs

Daniel-K

the time has come to move so i have to move the ROR but the current design i have is just casters that roll back on to supporting beams. i would like some ideas for my next roof. as this is out first home we are buying and plan to live there for the foreseeable future, and i would like my roof to be easier to push than the one i have now and i want it to fold over the warm room. i plan on having it 12x12 the scope room will 12ft long x 8ft wide and the warm room is to be 12ft long x 4 ft wide. im having two piers in this time thats why its so big. so the warm room will have a fixed roof and then i would to out roof to some how either roll and fold or have a over lapping roof. if you have any pictures of your roof design could you please post some images.

Dan

Ian King is now making ROR obsys; i went to see the guy who makes and assembles them for him, to see his obsy which was very nice and had a warm room just as you describe. You could contact them for a quote.

I've decided this house and garden are just not suitable for an obsy unfortunately, and now just wonder if i should get a pier bang in the middle of the lawn, and leave the mount permanently attached under a protective cover.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

James

Quite a few of us have recently built observatories where the roof rolls over the top of a warm room with a pent roof.  The size of the scope and warm rooms has been roughly similar as this makes the overall deisgn simpler.

In your case, if the warm room is going to be 50% the size of the scope room, you'll want to be looking at providing some beams that extend another 4' or so beyond the end of the warm room to support the rolling roof, in a similar way to what folks have done with observatories that have no warm room, though in their case the rails stick out much further.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why can't the "warm room" be inside your house, with appropriate data cabling between the OBS and the house to control the OBS PC?

You could say I've got two warms rooms if you include the house :D  The imaging capture and control laptop resides in the warm room attached to the scope room.  This "local" warm room includes all the control electronics except for Arduinos that control focus etc. and those in the mount.  I wouldn't like the laptop and mains power supplies to be subject to the dew such as we had last night - everything in the scope room was dripping with dew.  The laptop connects to a desktop indoors via wifi and TeamViewer so I can see what's happening and control the laptop from the lounge.

Archived