Your favourite bit of Baader kit is...

Luke

I seem to have accumulated various bits n bobs from Baader over the years, and I can't fault any of it for the price I paid. I was wondering what my favourite bit of it all is. The obvious one for me was the Baader Steeltrack focuser, but thinking about it, the Baader Herschel Wedge is the thing I like most, being a bit of a sun nut these days. When the observing conditions are good, the views of sun spots are jaw-dropping, and the unit itself is very nicely made and works with all kinds of supporting adapters to help with imaging etc.

What's your most essential bit of Baader kit, and why?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aspeheric 31mm - now my most used bit of kit by far. When I first started in astronomy the rush was for maginification - now being a little more experienced its the wide field aspect of the hobby that has the most draw for me- sometimes its the only lens I'll use all night - brilliant bit of kit.

I like Baader's variable polarizing filter when used in Lunt's Herschel Wedge. Baader's UHC-S filter also gets a lovely look in when out visiting certain nebulae, really brings out detail. But what I really, really like is the small set of BGO's I have from 5mm to 9mm. They're small, light, take up virtually no room and offer cracking views of the Moon and planets.

as the Baader Zoom will always be contraversial I will go with this, whilst not the best glass in the EP box, it gets the most use out of all my EPs and has worked faultlessly thus far, narrow fov at 24 admitedly, however still nice and sharp at F5. Most used nowadays are the Baader CCD LRGB filters, which seem to be widely used, favourably reviewed and very very nearly parfocal (focus in green now for best effect). Of all my barlows the Baader Zoom x2.25 gives the most for planetary with my 200P - though this around 3500mm f/l by extension with the filter wheel and a short extension tube.

Multi Purpose Coma Corrector for my 150P :)

I have a fair bit of other Baader kit. I like the ND5 solar film and solar continuum filter. The LRGB+Ha CCD filter set is great. I don't like the 3.5mm Hyperion, it doesn't match up to my other eyepieces in the scope that I have.

EVERYTHING!

I have 4 Hyperion EPs, 2 Aspheric EPs, 3 filters and a click lock visual back. Wouldn't be without any of them. The visual back has replaced the (rather flimsy) one that came with the scope and is brilliant! Rally handy if I need to change the position of the EP... Don't need to unscrew anything!

The 4 Hyperion EPs are used all the time for both of my scopes. I have an Aspheric for each scope (different mags) and they are by far the best EPs I have tried for nice wide field views.

The 3 filters are all used for different things, but all work fantastically well!

ND5.0 and ND3.8 Solar film ..... :p

Oh yeah, I forgot about that too. I have only the ND5.0 though and seeing as it's a bit old and dusty I figure I'd be better erring on the side of caution and just get some more.

Must do that.

Archived