Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SCB2000 shopping list

hoops86

Yeah that makes sense John, Cheers. I've seen extension tube sets but have also seen a variable eyepiece projection adapter. The VEP projection adapter has a T thread on it so I think  if I were to use a male c-mount to female t-mount adapter to attach the camera I would have the option of sliding the tube to get the right length. Would be quicker than changing various extension tubes. Both similar prices aswell.

In regards to your questions Davy......what you pay for is what you get, just like with astronomy gear.

We used high end 16+ channel multiplexors with Terrabytes of storage and really good software for large installations but also used DVR style ones on small shop/domestic installs.

Standard software attributes are things like motion detection and blurring out private areas but they aren't much good for what we're trying to achieve.

On the higher spec installs, we had full pan/tilt/zoom control etc from keyboards/joysticks. Lower spec had less functionality.

You should find capabilty to record all channels at once, if you don't I suspect that particular model would be mainly for just surveillance and as such would not be a true DVR.

Screen capture and exporting/burning stills/video (sometimes via LAN) is another feature on some. Again, you get what you pay for.

In regards to the LAN.....again it depends on your spec. High spec, you can log in remotely from anywhere in the world (port forwarding etc) with full control of pan/tilt/zoom. Low spec, just a live view and maybe not remote access. 

You can connect them straight to the computer and there should be info in the manual re. ip addresses/subnet masks etc.

from memory....ip addresses were 127.x.x.x instead of 192.168.x.x like it would be through your router.

Things have moved on a bit since I last installed one, so lower spec may give you more control these days.

I would suggest that as a bare minimum you get one that will control all channels simultaneously.

Is there any specific features you want ? I have friends who still work in the industry so can put any questions you've got to them if necessary.

Jack

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One I'm looking at...full d1and 960h recording on all channels...4 channel. ..500 GBP hard drive...full remote access and play back...automatic port forwarding...hdmi.vga..bnc..audio outputs. ..full ptz controls zoom and focussing. .usb flash drive back up and network back up...motion detection and privacy zones and night vision...remote access via smart phone..pentaplex operation display..system embedded linux..format h.264 compression......what I require is to fit my cameras to a dvr to record to the hard drive..acess the hard drive and use the images as single frames for stacking. ..basically. .computer control would be a bonus

Sounds like the one you're looking at will do the job. Is it designed as a vehicle security DVR ? I saw one that sounds like that which was advertised as vehicle security. I had another look around and they all seem to be of similar spec though. I think full computer control will add another £100+ to the price tag. I'll ask my friends but I reckon you're pretty much on the ball with it already.

You shouldn't have any probs capturing what you need, accessing it, processing it and stacking it.

one thought......with linux OS.......SSH'ing into the DVR might be possible. I have very limited experience doing it with my Raspberry Pi but if you know or are a LInux/Unix geek it may be possible to get into the OS and tweak/hack it a bit for more control. now there's a thread for a totally different forum !!

Back to AV......I get the sens-up thing to simulate longer exposure but just to clarify in my head.........what's the longest exposure for scb-2000 ? Is it always sub 1 second ?

Hi the samsung will give you sub second to 10 second exposure. It just works differently to a dslr. For planets/moon then sub second. For DSO up to 10 second. It's all menu set. Effectively it takes the equivalent exposure in time . Even if I set my meteor camera at X2 in daylight which is less than a second exposure it's whiteout. They are all very sensitive. Cheers Carl

what the sens-up do . say you have it at 512, it will do a exposure of 8.5 sec and what happens the image is stacked on top of each other every 8.5 sec. so to say you lock onto a target say M57, I did this last night, I set sens-up at X64 which is 1.1 second exposure and after every 1.1 sec it stacks it and it builds the frame up. you will notice the first couple of frames will have poor definition till it as stacked a few frames and the images gets better, you will notice this on your screen has it builds up the frame. this shot was taken with a compact camera and a poor resolution 7'' monitor 480 x 234

post-24363-0-97336700-1380500416_thumb.j

X 2    = 0.03 seconds

X4        0.06

X6        0.1

X8        0.13

X10      0.17

X12      0.2

X14      0.23

X16      0.27

X24      0.4

X32      0.5

X64      1.1

X128    2.1

X256    4.2

X512    8.5

Cheers jack now I know what I'm after...just the bit of getting it cheaper to sort out....dvr is a raven 1000 hd. ..from the bay...many thanks for the help...I'm thinking this may be the next evolution in astronomy av if my plan works out....a pd1 cam on a ed80 a Samsung scb2000 with a wide angle lens and purchase a second pd1 fitted with a 6-60mm auto iris zoom lens...giving me three diff captures of Same target at diff focal lenght s...Davy

I'm guessing the need for a focal reducer is something to do with inward focuser travel ?

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the AV forum!

I’m a total beginner and it sounds like you already know waaaaay more than me! So sorry if im making this up! :)

But I’m pretty sure the purpose of the focal reducer is to increase the field of view. Due to your Mak's long focal length and the cameras 1/3" sensor it gives you a tiny field of view. Something similar to a 6mm eyepiece giving a huge magnification! Making it very difficult to keep the object in view. (or in my case....even finding an object)

So a 0.5 focal reducer apparently half’s your scopes focal length effectively halving the magnification and giving double the field of view.

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the AV forum!

I’m a total beginner and it sounds like you already know waaaaay more than me! So sorry if im making this up! :)

But I’m pretty sure the purpose of the focal reducer is to increase the field of view. Due to your Mak's long focal length and the cameras 1/3" sensor it gives you a tiny field of view. Something similar to a 6mm eyepiece giving a huge magnification! Making it very difficult to keep the object in view. (or in my case....even finding an object)

So a 0.5 focal reducer apparently half’s your scopes focal length effectively halving the magnification and giving double the field of view.

spot on Chris

Cheers guys, I think I've got my head around the sens-up/exposure thing now. That table of x2,x64 etc etc with equivalent exposure times is really helpful too. Am I right in thinking that it is the gubbins inside the camera that is doing that processing or is that with 3rd party software ?

If it's the camera.......how do I then capture that to hdd ? with my usb capture stick and software like sharpcap ?

Cheers Chris for clarifying the focal reducer point too. 

I think I'm ready to buy some goodies now. Just gotta wait until my money comes in on wednesday. 

checklist :

camera + PSU

focal reducer

c mount adapter

extension tubes (or variable EP projection adapter and C to T mount adapter)

IR filter (already ticked)

light pollution filter

BNC lead (will make my own)

Do I need anything else to get started ?

There is a menu button on the camera, when its powered and linked to a monitor/tv or computer via a usb video grabber it displays options to choose ...fair wee bit of testing to tailor to your needs unless someone else running same kit...sharpcap works a treat wae Sammy...lp filter May not be needed av sammy cuts through lp great.. I imaged the moon with clouds in front of it...Davy

Just need the funds now...been spending a fortune on the Mrs budgie avairy/ Chinese painted quail egg incubator. .daughters 21st next Friday. .power washer...n rent due next week....hopefully next week. ..hope it blumming works the way I expect it to....basically doing away with laptop to record too...hopefully killing two birds with one stone. ..you get a multiple channel recorder to a large hard drive ,that you can plug a monitor in to,, plus stream to internet via a router/mobile phone ... or in and observitory on timed record or motion detection mode n free up a computer as well for 110 pounds..Davy

Davy whats going on over there? One minute your sorting that avairy then killing two birds with one stone? :grin:

Seriously would'nt have any worries about DVRs, if they did'nt work they would'nt be much good at security. I've seen a few in action and viewed via Iphone from a shop owners house and they are pretty impressive nowadays.

Carl

Carol stuck in house more n more...getting cabin fever n bored n fedup very easily. ..trying to get as much for her as poss to keep her chin up....its working has things to look forward to now and take up a lot of her day....feel like the Marco polo of av pushing the boundaries all the time have a cupboard full of kit I've bought to implement into av...just peeshed off the now no gettin out but still buying kit I cany use..had to do a dry run setting up my kit..had forgotten how to set up my eqtooth and had tp watch tutorial on eqmod alignment. ...all good again. ..moaning over. ...

checklist :

camera + PSU

focal reducer

c mount adapter

extension tubes (or variable EP projection adapter and C to T mount adapter)

IR filter (already ticked)

light pollution filter

BNC lead (will make my own)

Do I need anything else to get started ?

Yep,

Clear sky  :grin:

Archived