SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SkyQ wi-fi adapter and iPad App

Boyleyuk

Hi TT - I ended up sending mine back and have switched to the Starsense instead. Not confident the issue will be resolved anytime soon between apple & skylink and whilst the handset/iPhone combo was workable, it was clumsy and had no capacity to improve accuracy.

I contacted Celestron to ask and there are no plans to allow alignment improvement during use, which in my mind is daft, when they have it in all their handsets. It's the only way of counteracting the inevitable deterioration from mechanical gears.

So I gave up with it.....

Radec

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also invested in one of these. I found the Apple dependency and less than perfect software made the device awkward to use. I'm certainly hoping Celestron comes up with better software across multiple platforms, such as android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hey all. I was reading above that there may have been some talk between Celestron and Apple about where the issue is. I was wondering if anyone could point me to those? I personally have a hard time believing Apple is the source of the issue because (as others have pointed out here) the simple 'control' section of the app works fine. The issue is just that on the alignment page only the directional controls don't work. This being the case, how could it be Apple's issue..?

In addition, I had a previous version of this app which *did* work. I wish I had kept it on my computer, Apple won't let you download older versions, and like many of you my queries through the 'support page' (which is actually just a 'contact us' form) went unanswered. If anybody has the older version of the 'IPA' file (prior to 2.1 or 2.1.1), I'd love to get it from you.

Lastly (to answer the question about IOS) I wanted to mention that I grabbed an older 'iPad 1' with IOS 5 and downloaded the app, and it has the same issue. So not IOS 7 specific.

--Ian

PS - I just realized that it's been SINCE LAST SUMMER when this issue started, and since then they've released new scopes designed to interact with mobile devices. This demonstrates (to me anyway) that they are applying their engineering cycles to new customers at the expense of existing ones. It's beyond embarrassing for Celestron...I can't even think of the words! Celestron, are you reading these forums??? 

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

just to let you know that I have purchased the celestron skyq module, put it on my skyprodigy mount and am able to get my scope to be controlled via the sky safari pro 4 app on my ipad as well as celestron's own free to download skyportal app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just to confirm that Skyportal and Skype link work in direct mode on Android (tested Nexus 7 2013 and Samsung Galaxy S3) with a CG5-GT Advanced and CPC800. On both I need to confirm incomplete GOTOs (kind of gets halfway). But so far this looks promising for what was a worthless wifi dongle :-)

Archived