12V dc main supply cable

Hi SGL

hope all is well, apart from the clouds, just wondering if anyone uses a 12v dc mains supply to run there mount ? ive read in the synscan manual that it needs to be in and around 100mA,

ive checked online & found some in the astro shops but there about 30 quid & fleabay has some but not 100mA closest i could find was 300mA

could anyone point me in the direction of any cheap...er mains supply cables... advice appreciated.

well clear skies everyone

Lots of us use 12v power supplies that are "mains" - often like this one: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html from Maplins or FLO (usual disclaimer). Some use the cheaper ones from Amazon or other sites. Most are rated at at least 1 Amp (1000mA). You can power a scope with a supply rated above the needs of the scope (it only takes what it needs) but you will have problems if you try to take more from a supply than it is designed for.

If you intend to use maind then you must be sure that your set-up is safe, especially in wet or dewy conditions. That is why many folk use 12v batteries - often jump starter types like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/3-in-1-portable-jumpstarter-383992 which do the job and are safer outside.

thanks kerrylewis hadn't come across that when i was searching Maplin's prolly looking wrong place knowing me :D but that is what i was looking for or maybe even the Phone charger type but had no luck on that one

and thanks for advice bizbilder ive got one of them power tank type things at the moment but have had a few occasions where its died on me an ruined an imaging session so was thinking more along the lines of mains for home & that tank for trips out

Do you mean a 240-12 volt converter with whatever the circular pin connector is called ?

Maplin

Maplin do this one at around 1 amp or a little more and selectable voltage up to 13.2.

You pick the connector size and set the polarity - centre positive I presume.

They do a bigger variant, just no idea what the refernece is.

To get this I had to read the Maplin part number off of one I have.

Whatever Maplin use as search strings nothing ever seems to work - 12 volt converter display a big mp3 stereo playing thing.

Hi SGL

hope all is well, apart from the clouds, just wondering if anyone uses a 12v dc mains supply to run there mount ? ive read in the synscan manual that it needs to be in and around 100mA,

ive checked online & found some in the astro shops but there about 30 quid & fleabay has some but not 100mA closest i could find was 300mA

could anyone point me in the direction of any cheap...er mains supply cables... advice appreciated.

well clear skies everyone

A lot of people use a regulated mains psu. I used to use a 5a psu similar to this one http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accPSU and currently use one similar to this type http://www.firstlightoptics.com/power/maplins-xm21x-7a-138v-regulated-mains-power-supply.html . The mount requires a minimum of 2 amps (2000mA) not 100mA as you believe. Cheap, non regulated PSUs are not suitable as they will cause the mount to behave erracticaly or fail to function.

thanks cornelius

i was just a lilttle concerned with the ampage of the mount as was going by wot was written in the synscan manual i have the eq3-2 with upgrade kit so thought that was the max it ran at 100mA. the power supply box from maplin looks good idea thou mite start looking into that.

thanks

Archived