Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carry Case

Hi Mentalmackem,

I guess many people have their scopes set up and don't worry about boxes or storage too much. I don't know, I might be completely wrong.

However, I live in a first floor flat so I can't leave my scope set up all the time, so I needed a solution like yourself. I found flight cases very expensive - often more than the OTA, but in the end I went for a sort of DIY option.

I've got some picture of it here. Scroll down the first couple of blog entries and there is a section of how I sorted out my case. It's made up of a drum hardware case I bought from Trifibre. Then, put a simple plywood partition in one end so I could keep a couple of odds and ends in. Finally, I bought a cheap duvet from the supermarket to wrap the OTA in. Not a solid hard case, but gives good enough protection for me.

For an idea of scale in the photos, my scope is a Skywatcher 150p.

Hope this helps,

all the best,

MMM

You don't say what scope you have so we know what size you're after but I did have a quick look on ebay and found this one which I may get for myself. :wink2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swan-Flight-Case-Disco-equipment-sound-lights-trunk-box-/170438109754?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Rack_Cases_MJ&hash=item27aee72a3a

Have a look on their ebay shop and they have quite a few different shapes and sizes.

You don't say what scope you have so we know what size you're after but I did have a quick look on ebay and found this one which I may get for myself. :wink2:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item27aee72a3a

Have a look on their ebay shop and they have quite a few different shapes and sizes.

This is the best way, unless you're really good at DIY. I wouldn't trust myself to construct something strong enough!

Two of my scopes (both refractors) came with their own cases. The thing to do is always keep the foam packing the scope arrived in, and try to find a box or make one to go around that. You could look at a Really Useful Box as they are light and strong, my 8SE fits in the 84ltr one.

Archived