Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

scarp15

Telrad Base Plate, Sticky Tape

I am considering removing the Telrad base plate on one of my scopes. Would anyone know of or recommend where to get suitable replacement double sided tape?

Thanks

You may find heating the tube under or around the existing tape may allow it to be removed and used on another tube....spare bases are cheapish......less than a tenner....:)

• Like 1

RS (UK) carry a large range of suitable tapes but you do need to set up an account to buy on line and postage charges etc add quite a bit to small order costs.

Maplin also carry an inexpensive 0.9mm thick tape that can be used but it is not as thick as the original Telrad tape which is around 2mm thick.

So to get good adhesion over a large area and mould to the shape of the OTA you need to double it, stick two layers together and it works fine.

http://www.maplin.co...foam-tape-33766

William.

You may find heating the tube under or around the existing tape may allow it to be removed and used on another tube....spare bases are cheapish......less than a tenner.... :)

I've used a hairdryer to remove a similar sticky adhesive mount (for a helmet cam rather than a Telrad) and whilst it was very effective at removing the mount, the adhesive wasn't sticky enough to be re-used, so buying replacement tape is the way to go in my experience.

Hi Iain

I use car number plate pads which are about 20p from car spares shops (independent ones). you'd need maybe 2-3 max. if you cannot find any then let me know and I can get/post some.

• Like 1

Rothervalleyoptics.com do Telrad spare parts and one of the items is genuine  replacement sticky pad.

I used duct tape and simply taped the base to the OTA. Works a treat and didn't leave any mess when i had to move it to re-balance my scope.

In the end I just drilled by Dob and mounted the telrad with M3 Bolts, nuts and split washers.  Simples :)  Modding a Dob is obligatory if you are a real astro nut ;)

• Like 1