Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good eye pieces for planetary viewing

Sammyb

Hello - I am looking forward to observing Jupiter this year and I was hoping to get a better eye piece for planetary observing. I have a CPC800 and was wondering what eye pieces would get me better views (around £100 - £150). I have a 12mm celestron plossl and a x2 barlow and a x3 barlow. Any input would be appreciated. Sam

For that focal length I'd want a 9mm (X225). I view Jupiter mostly at x235 in the C925 and it feels right at that. The choice for me for your scope would be either a 9mm Ortho, or a 9mm Vixen NLV. For planets field of view isn't important, but sharpness and contrast are. I'd forget the Barlows, they compromise image quality too much. The Ortho would be bright and sharp but with short eye relief, The NLV wouldn't be far off the performance but have a comfy 20mm eye relief.

It is good to have a variety of different focal lengths as images get blurry when the atmosphere doesn't cooperate. Baader classic ortho 10mm is another option for you. I am simply tickled by my 12mm and 8mm BST explorer eyepieces. The 12mm is great also for medium/high power deep sky also along with planetary/solar/lunar.

If you need to observe with glasses, the Pentax XF8.5 is really nice (and not at all in the same price range as the XWs). I used it a lot last season on Jupiter (that and the XW10 and XW7, depending on seeing). It has a sharpness rivalling orthos, long eye relief, and a nice 60 deg FOV

Archived